Money & hero death and liutenants

By Moneseki, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Some questions normally of minor impact to our game.

(Vanilla)

1: Hero dies, loses half of his money. If he has 25 coins, will he end up with zero or 25? I(OL) read the text as heroes loses half of their money rounded down to nearest 25, while two other players think it will be rounded up to nearest 25. None of us are native english speakers, and open for input. Seeing them loaded with money it didnt impact our game, but for later games it could mean a potion.

2: Hero sells a shop-shield(25 coins). Will he get 0 or 25 coins for it? This was accepted 0, but we are not 100% sure.

(RtL.)

Liutenants

3: Can a liutenant move to a city, and in the same round put a siege token to it?

4: Can a liutenant put a siege token to a city and then move? Lets say there are 2 liutenants in the city, first puts out a siege token and then moves, second puts another siege token and continue the siege.

5: Can a liutenant raze a city(rolls surge) and then move?

Tamalir Upgrades

6: We are at gold campaign, and have not upgraded anything in tamalir(think all heroes have 60-100 xp. To our defence its our first time in RtL.). Do we understand it correctly when we have to use an entire week in Tamalir to upgrade 1 building in tamalir? Or is it enough for us to just stay all in Tamalir in the beginning of a week?

In advance thanks for replies

Mone

Moneseki said:

Some questions normally of minor impact to our game.

(Vanilla)

1: Hero dies, loses half of his money. If he has 25 coins, will he end up with zero or 25? I(OL) read the text as heroes loses half of their money rounded down to nearest 25, while two other players think it will be rounded up to nearest 25. None of us are native english speakers, and open for input. Seeing them loaded with money it didnt impact our game, but for later games it could mean a potion.

2: Hero sells a shop-shield(25 coins). Will he get 0 or 25 coins for it? This was accepted 0, but we are not 100% sure.

(RtL.)

Liutenants

3: Can a liutenant move to a city, and in the same round put a siege token to it?

4: Can a liutenant put a siege token to a city and then move? Lets say there are 2 liutenants in the city, first puts out a siege token and then moves, second puts another siege token and continue the siege.

5: Can a liutenant raze a city(rolls surge) and then move?

Tamalir Upgrades

6: We are at gold campaign, and have not upgraded anything in tamalir(think all heroes have 60-100 xp. To our defence its our first time in RtL.). Do we understand it correctly when we have to use an entire week in Tamalir to upgrade 1 building in tamalir? Or is it enough for us to just stay all in Tamalir in the beginning of a week?

In advance thanks for replies

Mone

1) The pdf of the rules I have says "rounded down" for the money, but of course the example they give goes from 125 to 75. I'm of the opinion that it is always rounded down, so 125 would get rounded down to 50.

2) As far as I know, it would be zero otherwise you would get back what you paid for it which never happens.

3) No, they can move or place a token not both.

4) No, see above.

5) Yes, because the OL is the one who rolls for the seige, not the Lt. So the step where sieges gets resolved will happen first. If the city is razed, the Lt is free to move. There just has to be Lt and the right number of siege tokens on a city to make the roll. Its step 2 of the game week. Lt orders come in step 3.

6) From the rulebook: "If the heroes end a given week’s party action in Tamalir, they can use their growing notoriety to convince its rulers to improve the city."

So as long as you end your game week in Tamalir, you can buy an upgrade. You can't buy an upgrade and then move. Additionally , you can't buy an upgrade after ending or fleeing a dungeon. So you can't enter a dungeon, leave via the portal/glyphs at the end, and go back to Tamalir and buy an upgrade (per the new FAQ). You would have to have moved down a trail onto Tamalir to do it. So from the sound of it, if you want to buy upgrades you are going to have to have the heroes sit in Tamalir for several weeks to buy them. If you are already in Gold, I would just get the market ones and maybe forget the rest.

Big Remy said:

1) The pdf of the rules I have says "rounded down" for the money, but of course the example they give goes from 125 to 75. I'm of the opinion that it is always rounded down, so 125 would get rounded down to 50.

In the german version of the game, it is explicitly said that money always gets rounded up in advantage for the heroes - in this case, the given example would be right.

I think that an overlord should be generous in this case: Leave them their 25 coins and just take all their counquest points ;-)

German and English version are consistent here.

The hero loses half his money rounded down to the nearest 25, meaning he keeps half his money rounded up to the nearest 25 - so it is definitely in the hero´s favor.

Parathion said:

German and English version are consistent here.

The hero loses half his money rounded down to the nearest 25, meaning he keeps half his money rounded up to the nearest 25 - so it is definitely in the hero´s favor.

I attribute my comment to the fact that my math ability is on par with a preschooler.