Void Dragon + Empire of Man = Allies?

By AndracoDragons, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

For those of you who helped me last time. My group loved the adventure.

My new idea for a adventure also revolves around necrons and a C'tan, but this time instead of it being a shard its a weak but complete C'Tan. Here is the mission briefing i wrote up.

"A Necron Tomb had awakened on mars. Almost immediately the necrons start reacting in a strange behavior pattern not yet seen. The necrons spill from the tomb but only far enough to form a 10 man deep parameter around the tomb before the rest receded in to the tomb. Shortly afterwards towers rise from the tomb complex, one of these shot down one of our expeditionary craft.

3 days later a signal for help came over the vox network. The problem was is that this particular band of vox was reserved for the Emperor himself. The call for help said several necrons had invaded Noctis Labyrinth and that it needed immediate extraction.

The mission is to delve deep into the labyrinths of Adeptus Mechanicus and push the necrons back so they do not conquer mars and steal our most important forge world, not to mention a stepping stone to Terra. Also if possible capture a necron for study"

What will be explained to the team as they go through the labyrinths is that after the emperors battle with Mag'ladroth. (A.K.A the void dragon) The C'Tan swore undying fealty to the Emperor. Due to its injuries the C'Tan required rest, and so went to sleep inside of mar's ancient magma tubes. The Emperor believed the C'tan would betray the Empire and so attached a warp powered device to the C'Tan that would brainwash the C'Tan into being singularly loyal to the empire, while teaching it all the views that he espoused. Unfortunately the device malfunctioned and while still loyal to the empire believes the emperor is a god. It will be explained through various ancient holo-tapes with most of them made by the Emperor of Man himself.

Mag'ladroth was awakening due to it sensing the weakening of the Golden Throne. Ironically the waking of the C'Tan awakened the Necrons that were on mars. The necrons have a empty Tessaract Labyrinth device to trap the C'Tan. The team is to defeat the necrons taking possession of the Tessaract. The end decision is ether a battle until they can trap it themselves in the Tessaract, or to let the C'Tan leave for Terra and renew its fealty oath to the Emperor.

So is this too much heresy not not enough or not interesting enough? Just need some input from those that know more lore then I. I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

Wow...don't see too many adventures playing around with the super high level fluff that defines the setting. The God-Emperor of Mankind was buddies with a C'Tan?!? Heresy!!!!!

The God-Emperor of Mankind was buddies with a C'Tan?!? Heresy!!!!!

Well heresy was explained to me like this, if it helps the empire not heresy (such as the beings who make digital weapons) if it doesn't help it HERESY!!!!!

I like the idea, but it doesnt really sound like something a Death Watch kill team would be tasked with.

First of all the The Mechanicus would most likely deal with it them selfs, and if they had to call in assistance they probably call the most senior tech-marine from the Death Watch, or a chapter closly connected with The Mechanicus.

That kind of knowledge is for high ranking members of The Cult of Mars only.

But if your group like to play super high level stuff, which can be really fun, then I dont see why it shouldn't work.

For me it would depend on whether or not the fluff around the campaign seemed right, especially in regard to the extreme secrecy of The Adeptus Mechanicus. Would my character be allowed to have this knowledge?

Edited by SolP

From what I understand of death watch teams they are made up of the best of the best of the best out of all chapters, so I'm assuming the tech marine would have no issue of knowing this. And with what the team has already done destroyed a tyranid queen and hive ship, along with destroying a c'tan shard and necron tomb (although the tomb wasn't intentional the Psyker warped a energy source of a downed titan into and them all teleporting out) would give them enough renown to be chosen. besides they are relatively new to death watch so they are the most expendable unit. Also they are not being told anything beyond "push back the necrons and extract the heretical using the emperor's vox band. Everything else they find out by doing a little digging

Edited by AndracoDragons

To be honest, I think the first Astartes responders would be Grey Knights, because they are already in the Sol System in force, whereas most Astartes don't have a significant presence in-system, and the Deathwatch probably doesn't much, if any, assets stationed in the Sol System on a semi-permanent basis.

As far as why the kill team gets sent in first ... proximity/response time - they're the closest unit and can get there the fastest, for whatever combination of reasons - perhaps they were sent to oversee the pickup or delivery of a high value shipment of something, either supplies for the Deathwatch or artifacts being delivered to the AdMech on Mars.

This is Necrons . On Mars . Either of those mandates an immediate response, and the two combined mandates an immediate response of the kind not since the last time the Emperor's Palace was besieged. Mars has how many Titan Legions based on its surface? Yeah, they were all being immediately activated the second that Necrons were confirmed.

3 days after a Necron presence is confirmed on Mars is way too late. Perhaps 3 days after anomalous sensor readings were recorded and somebody went to check it out.

Possibly a more realistic timeline

Day 0 - anomalous sensor readings - probably seismic, or something similarly low priority, as energy signatures or anything else that is hard to be attributed to purely natural causes would get a faster, more significant response.

Day 1 - small AdMech expedition is dispatched by ground transport to investigate

Day 2 - contact with AdMech expedition is lost/they miss regularly scheduled check-ins

Late Day 2/Early Day 3 - Aerial reconnaissance craft with ground team dispatched to the area to locate the initial expedition

Day 3 - recon craft and team goes down - if known to be shot down but before Necrons confirmed, full mobilization of 'local' AdMech forces begins, AdMech forces elsewhere go to heightened alert status; if it spots and reported Necrons before going down, full AdMech mobilization begins, and an immediate alert is sent throughout the system - everybody in the system starts mobilizing

Late Day 3 - distress signal sent. Everybody starts mobilizing, and reaction teams are sent.

Frankly, the only Imperial force in the entire system that wouldn't be responding in force is the Adeptus Custodes, and even they are going to be breaking out hardware that they haven't used since the Heresy, just in case.

By the way, you do realize that if they succeed in extracting the Void Dragon, it'll be able to fix the Golden Throne, and quite possibly the Emperor Himself? And be able to slapped the AdMech into functioning properly - and drive the research and development of technology, that is, drive the development of new technologies, rather than being dependent upon the finding of ancient records? And if they fail, the Imperium is still staring down the barrel of an awakening Necron Tomb World under Mars.

Either way it goes, this is going to be massively setting-changing.

The fluff purist in me of course rages at the audacity of this campaign. But screw it...who am I to say you are having fun the wrong way. Go to Mars, Go to Terra, Fist Bump the Emperor's Skeletal Hand. GO forth!

@javcs

That timeline is much better then what I had. Although this necron tomb isn't even a full tomb, think of it as a secret R&D lab. Where they built the tesseracts in secret from the C'tan. There is also going to be some new necrons I made up. My entire group is much more knowledgeable about the lore then I am, I am the DM because I can make new things for them to fight that they haven't seen before. But anyways before I go off on a tangent the necron tomb is much much smaller then a normal one also filled to the brim with crypteks. I'll incorporate your timeline though since it makes much more sense then mine. Also I don't think the C'Tan would be able to fix the golden throne because of the machine spirit. The mechanism may just be too alien, what I was thinking was that he would be able to boost the imperiums armies with the nigh indestructible robot soldiers it can produce.

Edit.

Also the plan is that the c'tan would pretty much become the physical protector of man while the emperor just occupies the warp. Though I did plan on the c'tan eliminating his need for psyker sacrifices, that energy transference that c'tans can do is really freaking cool in my opinion.

Edited by AndracoDragons

The fluff purist in me of course rages at the audacity of this campaign. But screw it...who am I to say you are having fun the wrong way. Go to Mars, Go to Terra, Fist Bump the Emperor's Skeletal Hand. GO forth!

I know I'm probably missing something or another in lore but there doesn't seem to be anything that would really prevent this particular line of events to happen, necrons did miss some c'tan, the emperor did fight the void dragon, there is enough evidence it seems to suggest said c'tan is in mars, also the emperor is strong enough he would be able to make a c'tan bend to his will. Or are you saying the emperor isn't that powerfully because that would be awfully close to heresy lol

The concept of the VD waking up and going to terra is feasible. But you are never going to get humanity to accept Robot Soldiers. That is way too far into tech heresy. there would be a civil war for sure about it.

The actual thing about your plan is that if you follow through with your plan to do all this, then you are home brewing a setting. This is totally fine of course. Just understand that if the Emperor wakes up, bear hugs a C'Tan into submission, and restarts the great crusade with a robot army you are no longer playing Warhammer 40,000. Again, this is totally fine and I say go for it! Why not...

You're players that are super familiar with the fluff and story line as you say will NEVER see that coming!

Edited by RogalDorn01

@javcs

That timeline is much better then what I had. Although this necron tomb isn't even a full tomb, think of it as a secret R&D lab. Where they built the tesseracts in secret from the C'tan. There is also going to be some new necrons I made up. My entire group is much more knowledgeable about the lore then I am, I am the DM because I can make new things for them to fight that they haven't seen before. But anyways before I go off on a tangent the necron tomb is much much smaller then a normal one also filled to the brim with crypteks. I'll incorporate your timeline though since it makes much more sense then mine. Also I don't think the C'Tan would be able to fix the golden throne because of the machine spirit. The mechanism may just be too alien, what I was thinking was that he would be able to boost the imperiums armies with the nigh indestructible robot soldiers it can produce.

Edit.

Also the plan is that the c'tan would pretty much become the physical protector of man while the emperor just occupies the warp. Though I did plan on the c'tan eliminating his need for psyker sacrifices, that energy transference that c'tans can do is really freaking cool in my opinion.

Whether or not it's a full tomb makes absolutely no difference to the Imperium's initial response - they have to assume that there's a full size tomb down there, not just some secret R&D complex, which is something that they wouldn't know anyways.

As far as the VD being able to fix the Golden Throne ... the Emperor stashed the VD under Mars, and it is speculated that the VD's presence passively helped drive the technological developments of the Golden Age of Technology on Mars. I'm not saying he'd be able to do the whole "machine heal thyself" thing that the Emperor supposedly did when He landed on Mars to first gain the AdMech's allegiance, and instantly fix the Golden Throne and heal the Emperor, but it probably wouldn't take an extremely lengthy period of time for the VD to figure out how to fix the Golden Throne. And the energy transfer thing is a good point - and probably would help to heal the Emperor, though again, that's not likely to be an instant process.

Also, the VD should, as part of the Emperor's Indoctrination process, have been given recognition phrases/codes to identify and verify its loyalty to the Emperor. Although, it's quite likely that the only people who would know them are the Custodes.

Edit:

Also ... the VD should be able to exercise at least some control over the Necrons once it gets out from behind all the shielding the Emperor no doubt placed around it (which would help explain why it needs extraction, otherwise, it could just slap the Necrons silly). So there's that for the 'aftermath' as well. Should be a massive shakeup technologically and socially.

This is going to be socially equivalent to getting the Loyalist Primarchs back, and there's no technological comparison I can think of, because the VD would know and understand the principles behind technology, not just running off rote like the vast majority of the Imperium.

Edited by javcs

Yup...it would definitely shake up the setting a lot. I wish GW would have the courage to move their storyline forward a smidge. They are doing it with WHF and the Endtimes campaign. This has been very successful...why not 40k? It would bring me back to tabletop in a heartbeat

Edited by RogalDorn01