Recommendations for new players

By Fuuma, in Universal Fighting System

So, I'm definitely getting into this game, but it looks like my brother and a couple of friends might be as well. I went out and bought a Sagat and Ken(for my brother to play, I hate shotos) starter pack as starters make the obvious sensical choice for learning about the game. What I'm really looking for though is purchase advice. Should I have the new guys buy some starters too? Or have them just learn off mine and by some boxes of boosters to build their stuff? For the time being I don't imagine any of us playing too competitively until after some of the newer stuff comes out so it doesn't feel like we're playing catch-up. Also, we tend to be more SF fans than anything, although once Tekken hits I guarantee we'll be playing that as well since thats our main game in the consoles/arcade as well. So this will have an impact on what everyone wants to spend their money on.

If you can find any of the SF set "domination" that set is tough to find most places and a good fun (and still standard format) legal route.

Then I recommend grabbing some Shadowar and SCIV set of the newest stuff, and Tekken when that hits in... July? ... Though the other SF sets (mostly deadly ground perhaps... the other one was a bit of a flop IMO) are good too.

But yes they should consider another starter or two, though the Domination starters aren't as well put together as the new stuff is (SCIV and Shadowar starters). Those are more 'competetive' if you will.

Game on.

What starters are a "must buy" due to the rare cards inside? I don't usually buy starters a lot, but would hate to miss out on a good card because I was clueless it was there.

Well, the older "good" stuff would be MAI for rejections and The Gorgeous Teams, but Sagat has Tigers Fury and Ken has Kuzuryu Reppa's so it is all personal preference on how you would like to run your deck.

Check out the ne Fight Night packs on the UFS mainpage....one of those would help you guys get started!!

Also it depends on if you're in it for a longer haul...

Check out Astrid's Starter, and also Nightmare and Seigfreid, though Ivy is very popular for some reason, as is Ragnar.

Just get SOMEthing, then look up card lists because then you'll probably have a decent idea of what's good or not, ya know?

Game on. Let us know how its going!

If you just started playing ( and wont really be competetive for a while) I reccomend just buying the last set that just came out (SCIV and Shadowar) and some of the Tekken stuff whenever it is released. Starter decks provide a nice base (60 card playable) but also in buying a box you will get many of the same cards. If you need characters many places sell some of them for pretty cheap.

Hmm I just got in to this game to and a big fan of Samurai Showdown. Was it a good choice for me to buy both a Haohamaru and Ukyo Starter or were there any more effective SS Starters out there

If I'm not mistaken, I believe those starters are Legacy? I could be wrong though.

Right its not a mistake to buy things that are no longer 'standard legal' because 'standard legal' is not the be all end all of this game's playing experience.

However SOME areas get grumpy about fighting decks that use cards not in standard rotation...

Check out Cutting Edge (if you can find them) starters for the Haohmaru and Yoshitora from that set.

I dig SS too.