Crafting question.

By morrowind06, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

My character is interested in crafting. I notice they put a whole table that gave the skills to use per item type, the amount of successes needed and how long it took to make the tests. It also states that the materials needed are one step more available than the item attempted to be created. It also states for crafting things with the tech use skill you must have access to the designs for them. How do you go about obtaining these designs? Would it be a separate aquisition? A whole sidequest line? Would you need peer adeptus mechanicus? Do you have to be a tech priest?

By fluff it would seem that crafting stuff would be somewhat against the theme of the game, but then why would they put so much detail and rules on a mechanic they didn't want/expect you to utilize? Or are designs actually easy to acquire with the proper resources and the requirement of "designs" is merely to dissuade crafting unique tech weapons? For example a power sword with tearing, shocking, and proven 9 lol

Also is it possible to acquisition materials for multiple items at the same time? For example the parts to make three las pistols as opposed to merely getting one?

Last question should crafting things at higher craftsmanship levels be allowed and if so what would be the rules on how to do this? Best quality i am fine in assuming as being beyond anything a player is capable of, but good quality seems doable.

Anyways I'm hoping to get some clarification because i would like to help my team reduce subtlety loss by crafting certain items for them rather than acquisition.

I have my own question regarding Crafting. The chart on Page 97 says that Tech-Use can be used for Weapons, Armour and Gear. If that is taken literally, then Cybernetics are NOT able to be crafting using the rules for Crafting, correct? This would be the same for Weapon Modifications as well as Tools and anything under Protective Gear that isn't Armour.

~ alemander

Just a note on unique items: the Mechanicus pretty explicitly dislikes the creation of new technologies. You pretty much have zero knowledge of how anything actually works and just know how to read the manual and put it together as explicitly stated.