AGOT Card Game Lore

By M44C, in General Discussion

I just thought with a new addition coming out that we could have a thread that discusses the history of the game since it all started with Westeros Edition in 2002.

I was thinking of stuff more along the lines of stories about your meta, players, cards/sets ....ect.

As for my local meta:

Twin Cities Area

Not entirely sure who/where it started but I know it was shortly after the first set was out and I believe that Rob (Used to go by Sir Robb on the old forums), Little Finger, and HoseJuan were probably among the earliest members. I started playing just around the time of the Sea of Storms and came across the group playing at The Source.

From there the group grew, I think somewhere around 10-12 regulars (IIRC) and we started playing at Phoenix Games in Minneapolis and Village Games in Anoka as well. At it's height (whcih I would put around the middle/end of Valaryian)we jad as many as 3 tournaments in a week locally, most weeks. We also traveled frequently to other Metas. There was one in Cambridge (about 30 minutes north), one in Shakopee (about 20 minutes south) and one in Rochester (little over an hour south).

We would travel on weekends to Rochester to play frome time. Rochester happens to be the home of the world's tallest AGOT player Igor who stands 7'8". Though, I don't think he plays anymore.

Toward the end of Winter block we started losing people (some to online games I believe) and by the time the LCG came out, the Meta was mostly inactive from what I can tell.

People can fill in where I missed.

During our time were lucky to be sort of the home meta for the FFG guys, we would occaisionally have Nate, Casey, and Eric Lang show up and play. Some of the players were playtesters and played the FFG guys a lot.

I'm also old enough (age and game wise) to remember that old leaderboard thing they had when the game started up.

Anyway, I'm hoping with 2nd edition we can revive the local meta some.

Me too, man. Me too.

The old leadership thing? Do you mean the Nightswatch program, or the sweet old leaderboards that showed the points you earned with various houses? Man, I miss both of those.

As for history.... well... I mention it often enough on the podcast and whatnot that I won't detail the years too heavily, but I started playing in the fall of 2002, just as I started college, just after reading the novels that summer, and just after Westeros Edition itself came out. I had noticed a blurb for the game in Inquest and convinced my good gaming buddy, Andy, to give it a go. We picked up a starter for Lannister and Baratheon respectively, and the game sunk it's hooks very deeply into me. For the first several years of the game, Joplin, MO had a very active playgroup that we participated in with tournaments monthly.

As the years went by, people gradually dropped out, as life took over, and I migrated to playing with Dobbler and a couple other folks in Springfield. Not too long afterward, the LCG relaunch hit, and after a lean year, we were able to capture some new blood. Eventually, Dobbler, Zeiler, and myself started up a podcast. The years have waxed and waned since then, good friends who played the game have passed away (Andy and NDN), but I keep trucking along because this community is so amazing.

Cheers to 2ED. The King is dead, long live the King!

The years have waxed and waned since then, good friends who played the game have passed away (Andy and NDN), but I keep trucking along because this community is so amazing.

Can't agree with this statement more. Even if the only thing we love about the game that survives the transition is the community, I bet a lot of us will still be around.

To me, the heyday of the game was the 2-3 years right before the transition to the LCG -- the ChiCON years for me and my group of north-and-west-suburban Chicago mates.

Kton,do you remember cWolf?

The old leadership thing? Do you mean the Nightswatch program, or the sweet old leaderboards that showed the points you earned with various houses? Man, I miss both of those.

As for history.... well... I mention it often enough on the podcast and whatnot that I won't detail the years too heavily, but I started playing in the fall of 2002, just as I started college, just after reading the novels that summer, and just after Westeros Edition itself came out. I had noticed a blurb for the game in Inquest and convinced my good gaming buddy, Andy, to give it a go. We picked up a starter for Lannister and Baratheon respectively, and the game sunk it's hooks very deeply into me. For the first several years of the game, Joplin, MO had a very active playgroup that we participated in with tournaments monthly.

As the years went by, people gradually dropped out, as life took over, and I migrated to playing with Dobbler and a couple other folks in Springfield. Not too long afterward, the LCG relaunch hit, and after a lean year, we were able to capture some new blood. Eventually, Dobbler, Zeiler, and myself started up a podcast. The years have waxed and waned since then, good friends who played the game have passed away (Andy and NDN), but I keep trucking along because this community is so amazing.

Cheers to 2ED. The King is dead, long live the King!

I was talking about the old Leaderboard, where you'd send in tournament results and they'd rank players buy points or some such. That was the early days of the game.