Force disarming

By All Shields Forward, in Game Mechanics

Last game session two of my force using players almost came to blows. It started with one of them using the move force power to remove the other players light saber from their belt. Because the power targets the object and not the player we decided none of their defensive talents were triggered.

It really derailed our session. It seems to easy to disarm other players and in the media we seldom see jedi getting their saber stripped in that manner.

Are there any mechanics that we missed or that mitigate this from happening?

Well...Player vs Player, especially the kind of derails a session, is a different problem altogether that deserves a discussion with the parties involved. Run to that conflict and do what you can to resolve it in a way that makes for a more fun gametime.

On a mechanical level, opposed checks are the way to do this. Determine what skill the character would use to resist being disarmed in such a manner, and then roll with it.

I was thinking opposed as well but wasn't sure which? Force power maybe since they are resisting each other.

To clarify, the conflict wasn't what derailed it. I actually thought it was great because they were rping their characters. The derail came from trying to figure out the rar for force disarming but couldn't find any.

Edit: our confusion came from the fact that the move power defines the difficulty of the roll so the instigator argued that is all they should ever roll. Next time I will make them do an opposed force power vs agility as the target moves to stop them.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by All Shields Forward

Ah gotcha.

Well the sidebar on page 195 is helpful to this end: a Force user can resist with Discipline, or with whatever other skill might seem appropriate. You could also make an argument for an abnormal skill/characteristic pairing: you mentioned Agility. You can pair this with Discipline, instead of that skill's usual characteristic (Willpower) if the PC is trying to use their natural physical ability in conjunction with their Force training to try and hold onto their equipment.

Why your players were disarming each other also might have been part of the problem....

Yeah resistance works here. How you resist determines the characteristic/skill to use to set the difficulty of the check.

If you are resisting by grabbing it quickly then maybe Agility/Coordination.

If you want to use the Force to resist it I'd say you could use Will/Discipline. I might only allow that if the PC also has the power used against him or has a higher Force Rating, but there are not rules for that.

I'd also make the check harder if the character opposing it has a higher Force Rating, but that's not suggested anywhere.

As for the reason for the fight... I have one force sensitive that joined before F&D was announced, and a force user from F&D. I told the force sensitive that if he wanted to take any careers from F&D we needed to roll play his training. A few sessions ago he found a broken hologron and after the game I told him he needed to fix it and I would let him take a F&D career.

However the F&D player found the parts instead and refused to share. And when he missed a session the force sensitive broke into his cabin..

As for the reason for the fight... I have one force sensitive that joined before F&D was announced, and a force user from F&D. I told the force sensitive that if he wanted to take any careers from F&D we needed to roll play his training. A few sessions ago he found a broken hologron and after the game I told him he needed to fix it and I would let him take a F&D career.

However the F&D player found the parts instead and refused to share. And when he missed a session the force sensitive broke into his cabin..

Getting everyone 6 conflict?

If your players are at each other throats you may want to think about revising your playstyle.

Hmmm, maybe I wasn't clear. My actual players aren't at each other's throats just characters! Our force sensitive has taken the "quicker path" of the force and we were playing out the consequences of his decision. And in the end no one actually fought. It was just a stand off.

We're over eleven sessions and people are having a good time. We just hit a hiccup with the rules as we felt they should be vs. raw.

I'd probably go with opposed Discipline by default. You could allow the addition of current FR (uncommitted Force dice), with pips spent normally (dark pips require a DP flip and Strain) to add Successes or Advantages.

But Athletics or Coordination vs Discipline could work too. Leaving it up to the target player to pick will probably reduce the probability of success, which may be helpful preventing the distractions from becoming too frequent...

I would probably say that the defending player could appose it using either Coordination or Discipline. Alternatively, one could use a second weapon in the check to lash out agianst the target, machanically apposing with a light weapon, brawl or melee check that deals no damage to repersent the other using a blind flurry to break their concentration.

That being said in this case I see nothing wrong with what was done. The two players simply allowed a difference to be resolved between them dramatically, though if the conflict has no purpose then alternatively the defending player should be given the option to let it resolve or not resolve to quell it efficently.

I would not allow pips to enter the equation in this point, a force user already has a good enough advantage in being able to pull the gimmic, they should also work on the fundimental principles of their being and shouldn't be able to ride on a huge force rating.