Regarding Subtlety

By FoeHammer618, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Let's say our PCs are shaking down a lower hive and are approached by some thugs. The thugs are going to start something when one of the PCs pulls out an arbitrator ID or local enforcement badge (either real or fake.) A successful intimidate test sends them running, now does subtlety go down because the group is out in the open and being intimidating, or does it go down because they didn't say they were Inquisition?

Down, subtlety is about people seeing and knowing you, whether it's the fake name you're using or not, they will recognize your face, unless you are in disguise when you do it.

I would say down, but down by less than if you used an Inquisitorial Rosette for the same effect. Word spreading that local law enforcement is poking around the lower hive will alarm people a little, word spreading that the Adeptus Arbites are poking around is going alarm people a fair bit more and word spreading that the Inquisition is poking around will scare the holy hell out of everyone.

I think it should stay the same. Arbites cruising around the Lower Hive is business as usual, and even if the character's action disturbs some circles, it will send the wrong message. The alarm is counterbalanced by disinformation, so to say.

I'd definitely say down.

I think it should stay the same. Arbites cruising around the Lower Hive is business as usual, and even if the character's action disturbs some circles, it will send the wrong message. The alarm is counterbalanced by disinformation, so to say.

The Arbites is not the local enforcers. The arbites cruising around the local area is a really big thing. Saying it's business as usual is like saying it's perfectly normal for Homeland Security to cruise through your neighborhood.

I'd definitely say down.

The Arbites is not the local enforcers. The arbites cruising around the local area is a really big thing. Saying it's business as usual is like saying it's perfectly normal for Homeland Security to cruise through your neighborhood.

Homeland Security cruising around your neighborhood is perfectly normal, they just don't advertise it that much because you are supposedly living in a democracy or whatnot ;) .

I would say it should be normal from the Arbites to take a turn in the Lower Hive time from time to ensure a perceivable presence. A show of force, a sign that "we are here, watching you" or just busting a few criminals to fill up the prison cells.

I would say it should be normal from the Arbites to take a turn in the Lower Hive time from time to ensure a perceivable presence. A show of force, a sign that "we are here, watching you" or just busting a few criminals to fill up the prison cells.

Arbites don't generally do that though. They're a stepping stone in an investigation up to the Inquisition. You've got your local enforcement (generally pdf from what I understand) then your Arbites for when pdf is in over their head, and when the Arbites are at a loss of what to do they contact the big I. Arbites don't go for a cruise around the neighborhood unless they have reason to, they've busy people.

Arbites don't generally do that though. They're a stepping stone in an investigation up to the Inquisition. You've got your local enforcement (generally pdf from what I understand) then your Arbites for when pdf is in over their head, and when the Arbites are at a loss of what to do they contact the big I. Arbites don't go for a cruise around the neighborhood unless they have reason to, they've busy people.

From the Necromunda book:

The bulk of the Adeptus is made up of the Arbitrators. They are well armed and armoured, as they are often the first line of defence on a traitorous world, operating in the depths of hive cities, the shanties of mining worlds and other savage environs.

However, while the Adeptus Arbites are responsible for ensuring that Imperial Decrees are obeyed across the galaxy, the role of everyday control and policing usually falls to local security forces, working under the orders of the Imperial Commander and his staff.

So I guess the Arbites is considered "nothing speshul" but rings some bells. The local enforcers are just beat cops, below/beyond the notice of the real players.

Necromunda also has a half Eldar mercenary. I don't take it into my personal consideration for the status quo of a hive's law enforcement.

Half Eldar? Oh my.

Weren't there Half Eldar Spacemarines at some point?

Edited by Gridash

Half Eldar? Oh my.

Weren't there Half Eldar Spacemarines at some point?

Don't know, sounds familiar, but I think it was a single marine.