Ambush Platform questions

By sammann11, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Can you trigger Ambush Platform's abilities to play Gun Drones and/or Shadowsun's Stealth Cadre?

Ambush Platform:

Interrupt: When you deploy an attachment, reduce its cost by 1.

Combat Action: Exhaust this support to deploy an attachment from your hand.

Shadowsun's Stealth Cadre:

This card may enter play as an attachment...

Gun Drones:

You may deploy this card as a Drone attachment...

Thanks!

Rule Question:
(Tau) Ambush Platform vs Drones

Can I use Ambush Platform to equip drones as a combat action? Also, do drones (as attachment) benefit from the Ambush Platform's interrupt?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi (my name),
Yes, you can use the Ambush Platform to deploy the Gun Drones as a combat action. This is specifically because the Gun Drones say “You may deploy this card as a Drone attachment…” meaning the card itself is capable of being deployed as an attachment. This also means that they can use the interrupt of Ambush Platform to reduce its cost when you deploy the Gun Drones as a an attachment.
Hope that helps!

Brad Andres
Associate LCG Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
[email protected]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Brad,

Thanks very much for the swift reply! Just a followup question. Does this mean that I can use Shadowsun's ability to attach drones as well?

Regards,
(Me)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey (my name),
Here is where it gets interesting! The answer is no, you cannot put a Gun Drones into play using Shadowsun’s ability. This is because Commander Shadowsun specifically says “After this warlord commits to a planet, put a Tau attachment with printed cost cost 2 or lower or “Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre” from your hand or discard pile into play...” Because she uses the word “Put” instead of “Deploy” the Gun Drones don’t fit the requirements set up by the rest of her ability, namely the “Tau attachment with printed cost 2 or lower or “Shadowsun’s Stealth Cardre” clause. When the ability goes to grab something, it just sees the Gun Drones as a Tau Unit that could be deployed as an attachment, but isn’t an attachment, and thus not eligible for putting into play. Hopefully that makes sense!

Brad Andres
Associate LCG Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
[email protected]

Edited by Duraham

So can Shadowsun's Stealth Cadre be reduced/deployed by Ambush Platform?

No. When you deploy the Cadre, you are deploying a unit. It may be able to "enter play" as an attachment, but you are deploying a unit. The Platform only works to deploy attachments.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Since "deploy" is one way (of several) a card may "enter play," the text on the Cadre will allow it to be "deployed" as an attachment. The Platform will work to deploy the Cadre as an attachment.

Edited by ktom

No. When you deploy the Cadre, you are deploying a unit. It may be able to "enter play" as an attachment, but you are deploying a unit. The Platform only works to deploy attachments.

Has there been another ruling to contradict?

No. Looks like that was my error. I was being more strict with the word "deploy" than PBrennan was. While an argument for the stricter reading of "deploy" could probably be made, since PBrennan checked his answer on cardgamedb.com with FFG, go with that. I will edit the above to tag it as an incorrect answer.

Thanks Khouri.

Edited by ktom

Usually I'd message Darksbane but he seems to be absent lately :/ I can certainly drop a message on the forum to try and jimmy things along for you though. Might just be because of the weekend.