How many times have you?

By King of the Saltwives, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

Read through ASOIAF books?

The only reason I ask is because I recently started reading them again, for the second time. Just started Clash yesterday.

I'm finding that I forgot alot of things, or that in the (give or take) 3 years since i first read through them, that I didnt pay enought attention lol.

I'm working through A Clash of Kings right now for the second time. This time though, I'm listening to the books on Audio CD, while driving to work. I'm finding I missed a lot of small details by reading through them so quickly. I'm also finding that I like Varys much more this time... last time, I thought of him more as an afterthought, but this time I'm really enjoying seeing how big of a player he truly is.

I also am finding I like certain characters more this time around, and taking certain things in different ways. Maybe its also because I know how I felt about them by the end of Feast, but nevertheless...I found the same about Varys, as well as the Hound and Littlefinger. I always loved Tyrion, but even moreso do I now.

Some things don't change though... I still hate Joffrey, and most of all, I still hate Theon Greyjoy. His artwork in 5KE makes him look like a child molester. I can't really explain why.

I've read the four twice through, I've read the first three, I believe, four times. I figure once Martin announces a date for release of DwD I'll start reading the whole series again and that should get me pretty close to release date.

You are pretty much meant to hate Joffery, he is one of those characters that is just twisted to the point that he doesn't inspire any compassion. Even Cersei you get a chance to at least appreciate her situation, understand her goals, so while you may despise her, there is a little pity there as well.

I like Theon. I liked him the first time through, and somewhat despised Balon, but I liked Theon even more the second time through. He is torn between two worlds, desparately trying to seek the approval of his father, live up to his heritage, but at the same time he was genuinely friends with Robb and is having to find out that loyalty to friends and loyalty to famly can conflict and that maybe finding his own way through those entanglements is the only way.

My favorite characters are Jon and Tyrion... probably the two best examples of intelligence and honor in the series. I do quite like some of the less savory characters (Bronn), as well as a great appreciation for the Dornes we have been introduced to. I'm going to be very happy to read more about them at some point in the series (like Quentyn's quest).

I like theon as well, despite most of my meta-mates hating him, 5ke picture aside lol. I really do feel for the guy, trying to find his way through life, while facing adversity from his father. Well put Dor.

I've read the first three books twice each. The second time around I paid close attention to the possible Rhaegar/Lyanna/Jon Snow connection. I have not read Feast for Crows.

However, I have listened to all four books several times on audiobook, as my wife got them for my MP3 players as a christmas gift back in 2005. I can't say for sure how many times i have listened to them -- at least 8, possibly more than 10. I work for the post office, so I listen to audio books while I sort the mail for my route.

There are so many amazingly small details in these books, that I always learn something new everytime I do a listen through.

I read the the first three, then did them a second time as audiobooks. I think that's the only instance in my adult life where I've reread books. I've done the fourth book once as an audiobook. (Most of my "reading" now is as Audible books on my iPod --I can listen to them on my commute and will often listen to them while I scarf down my lunch at work). There's a very good chance I'll listen to them again, either because book five's release date has been announced (~any day now) or because the HBO series actually makes it across the finish line and is set to air. Hell, even if neither of those occur, I'll still likely listen to them again sooner or later; the third book is such an amazing emotional rollercoaster ride of a book.

At least twice each. More if you count rereading an individual chapter (which I did when Feast came out).

I shudder to think of how many times the LordofBrewtown went through them.