Beginning Morality?

By Tirisilex, in Game Mechanics

I dont know if this has been addressed.. But the book isnt really clear about where morality starts and how much morality is spent to increase money/exp. I've been starting people off at 70 Morality and they spend their morality like Obligation/Duty.

I think you start off at 50, but I'm away from the book.

There is also a section near the end of character generation where you can change your starting morality for XP/credits I think.

I do not let players spend Duty or Morality for boons like you can with Obligation. I rule only players with Obligation can do this. The reason we do this is becasue Obligation has a lot of downside to it so it should at least have the unique quality of being able to be raised for a story boon.

From page 34 (following Step 2: Determine Morality): "Initially, each character begins with a Morality of 50. However, to represent their prior experiences in the galaxy, they can choose to modify their starting Morality or gain additional experience points or credits with which to purchase additional gear."

You'll want to review the Beta Updates for the most recent changes, but that is how it's done.

Usgrandprix, think you may have things a little confused: a PC can increase Obligation by an amount up to their original starting value to gain credits or XP. A PC can decrease their starting Duty for similar benefits. There is no way to directly spend XP or credits to raise or lower your Morality; the raising or lowering can happen as two of the options during Step 2 of creating a PC (the other options being XP and/or credits).

Edited by awayputurwpn

Thanks. I'm good on the character generation stuff.

I misunderstood what the OP was saying. I thought in that last part the OP was asking about reducing Morality after character generation to get a benefit like how you can take on more Obligation after character generation to get a benefit/favor/etc. "I need a ship to get me to Corellia." "OK, but you're going to we me for this..." This I only allow with Obligation.

Yeah, iirc basic options are middle morality and an xp/credit boost, or no boost but start light or dark morality.

Morality isn't really a resource like obligation that can be spent, but more of a system like the renegade/paragon system in Mass Effect. It gives the players some little extra options if they are willing to invest in it, but its not so strong that a player that didn't want to worry about it would be likely to be punished for doing so.

If you lowered morality to get a starting boost like with the other mechanics, pretty much every player would start off near darkside for the extra leg up.

Yeah, iirc basic options are middle morality and an xp/credit boost, or no boost but start light or dark morality.

Morality isn't really a resource like obligation that can be spent, but more of a system like the renegade/paragon system in Mass Effect. It gives the players some little extra options if they are willing to invest in it, but its not so strong that a player that didn't want to worry about it would be likely to be punished for doing so.

If you lowered morality to get a starting boost like with the other mechanics, pretty much every player would start off near darkside for the extra leg up.

Thats why I start them at 70.. 50 takes them too close to the Darkside..

Edited by Tirisilex

OK, now that I've got my book handy it works like this:

You can start a 50 Morality and take:

• +10 XP or
  • +2,500 Credits or
  • +5 XP and 1,000 Credits

or

Start at 71 Morality (making you start at lightside paragon)

or

Start at 29 Morality (making you start as a darksider)

If you take the first option you just pick which one of the three boosts you want. You don't adjust your Morality to get the boosts.

Thats why I start them at 70.. 50 takes them too close to the Darkside..

This combined with your earlier statements makes me think you are missing a step in the morality adjustment process.
It doesn't move like Duty and Obligation do.

1. Over the course a session you earn conflict points (not morality points) though several means. Typically the biggest dispenser of CPs is going to be the characters actions (intimidation, violence, theft, general douchbaggery) though other things like failing a fear check, or flipping force pips may kick out one or two as well.
  2. After the session is over you total up the CPs you gained during that session.
  3. Roll a D10 and look at the result. If the result is higher then the total number of CPs you have, your Morality goes up by the difference. If the result is lower then the number of CPs you have, your Morality goes down by the difference.

That final step is what does it. Unlike Obligation that can shift dramatically in a single session, Morality is much slower to adjust unless the player is actively trying to be a Darksider or Paragon. Even then there's still not guarantee of a dramatic shift. An aspiring Paragon that goes an entire session with no Conflict but rolls a 1 on that d10 is only going to go up by a single point. Likewise the a-hole that gets 9 conflict in the session could still roll a 10 and see his Morality actually go up by a single point.

See Morality is actually pretty forgiving, so unlike previous systems the players shouldn't be afraid to gain a CP or two during a session. In fact the system almost assumes they will.

I understand how conflict works.. I didnt understand how beginning Morality works. I thought it was like Duty and Obligation. I didnt realize that you had 3 diff choices like you posted.:

You can start a 50 Morality and take:

• +10 XP or
  • +2,500 Credits or
  • +5 XP and 1,000 Credits

or

Start at 71 Morality (making you start at lightside paragon)

or

Start at 29 Morality (making you start as a darksider)

If you take the first option you just pick which one of the three boosts you want. You don't adjust your Morality to get the boosts.

Edited by Tirisilex

Yes, morality starts at fifty and you can choose one of the options as allowed. But aren't we forgetting the "house rules" rule? If you are a GM you could choose to allow players to spend starting morality like obligation. If you did, you would still have them start at fifty morality. If players The downside to this is, they could easily make Dark side characters. Even as a house rule, you wouldn't want them to start with 70 morality and also allow them to spend morality for bonuses. If you're the GM, and it's your call. If you choose to allow players to spend starting morality and only during character creation it still keeps a bit of balanbit of balance. Players who don't want their character to be a dark side would have twenty XP to spend. While players who don't care about being dark side would have more. You're the GM and ultimately the game is about having fun.