Multiple criticals on 1 hit ?

By JP_JP, in Game Mechanics

I'm sure the question has be answered somewhere but I couldn't find it...

Let's say player 1 has a Lightsaber with a critical rating of 1 ; attacking Evil Nemesis, he scores a hit with 3 advantages, triggering 3 criticals. I know that he only rolls once for the critical but add +20 to the roll because of the 3 triggered criticals.

Now the question I have is it just 1 crit or 3 crits ?

Let's say player 2 strikes the same Evil Nemesis with a Lightsaber with a critical rating of 1, he scores 1 advantage and triggers a critical hit. Now does he add +10 or +30 to his critical roll ?

Same question for healing, does the healer has to heal 3 criticals on the Evil Nemesis or just 1 even if Player 1 triggered 3 criticals with his roll ?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure the question has be answered somewhere but I couldn't find it...

Let's say player 1 has a Lightsaber with a critical rating of 1 ; attacking Evil Nemesis, he scores a hit with 3 advantages, triggering 3 criticals. I know that he only rolls once for the critical but add +20 to the roll because of the 3 triggered criticals.

We play that it's one crit. (And yes we do add +10 for each extra crit on the same hit.) So a latter crit would be just +10 since they already have that one crit.

I would play it as a +30 because the critical modifier has already made it to +20, the bad guy has already suffered 3 critical hits at this stage.

I would play it as a +30 because the critical modifier has already made it to +20, the bad guy has already suffered 3 critical hits at this stage.

No, he's only suffered one. It was boosted, sure, but it was just one. If you heal it, you don't have to heal it 3 times. Besides, if you treat all the modifiers as separate crits, people will be dying left right and centre. And what goes around comes around: if it can happen to the NPCs it can happen to the PCs too.

You can only Crit once per hit. Multiple activations of the feature only add +10 to the roll.

This is important to remember, to wit:

A Nemesis can be slain outright by a good hit -- knocking a character beyond Wound Threshold automatically inflicts a Critical Injury, but you can make it more severe by activating Crit multiple times, each adding +10 to the roll.

Since Crits automatically take out minions, they can be dispatched two at a time -- one from the damage, one from the crit (but only one, since you can't crit more than once, and increasing the severity would be wasted.).

Question for you guys. If you are hit after you are already passed wound threshold is that a crit too?

Say someone with a Wound Threshold of 12 takes a hit that takes them from 10 to 14 Wounds. They get a crit for passing WT.

Now next round a grenade goes off or for some other reason they take damage and go from 14 to 17. Do they roll a crit again?

And also it says you can go to double your WT. What happens then? Do you die?

If not why should it take a person with an 8 WT less time/effort to wake up from max damage (16) than a person with an 18 WT at max damage (36)?

Since Crits automatically take out minions, they can be dispatched two at a time -- one from the damage, one from the crit (but only one, since you can't crit more than once, and increasing the severity would be wasted.).

I've let my party take out extra minions with extra crits...it's not correct by RAW, but the situation was too epic to disallow it. When somebody rolls 9 advantages, you just have to give :)

Question for you guys. If you are hit after you are already passed wound threshold is that a crit too?

Say someone with a Wound Threshold of 12 takes a hit that takes them from 10 to 14 Wounds. They get a crit for passing WT.

Now next round a grenade goes off or for some other reason they take damage and go from 14 to 17. Do they roll a crit again?

It's up to the GM, but that' show I read it. He's receiving wounds that exceed his threshold, the fact that his threshold was already exceeded before he took those wound is just bad luck.

Also remember that each crit grants a +10 to the next crit, so a WTed character that continues to get hit is eventually going to roll a "you are dead" crit.

And also it says you can go to double your WT. What happens then? Do you die?

You just stop tracking at double, but you don't die. The point is to keep the PC from dying due to bad rolls or just basic stupidity (because dying isn't fun).

The only thing that CAN kill is player outright is a sufficiently powerful crit with a high enough supporting roll.

That said some GMs do run house rules that kill you at double, or if you take any additional damage after the hit that puts you at or exceeding double.

Also worth noting, with only one exception I can think of, this systems doesn't (mechanically) allow you to resurrect a dead player character. That's one of the legacies of Dungeons and Dragons. In that game (and it's fantasy relatives) the developers aren't as concerned about killing players because there is a clear mechanical way to bring back a dead player. This assumption that the PCs of any RPG will die at some point is just overflow from that.

If not why should it take a person with an 8 WT less time/effort to wake up from max damage (16) than a person with an 18 WT at max damage (36)?

The person with a higher WT is probably physically bigger and tougher and took more damage to actually drop. He's taking longer because he's probably just generally more beat up. Though it's a fair bet he'll actually be more critically injured as well, as the extra wound he had to take to drop also increased the number of hits he took and the odds of being critted.

Thanks Ghost. That's how I read a wound to someone past WT too.

The tracking to double still seems a bit odd to me but your explanation helps a bit.

Yeah..."When a PC suffers wounds greater than his wound threshold...He also immediately suffers one Critical Injury."

That's how I read it, too: whenever you suffer wounds greater than your wound threshold, you receive a critical injury. So any attack that does damage (after soak) will inflict another crit on such a character.

Well in this system there is a way to use heal harm to bring back the dead...if you do it in time. And gives the healed character conflict....

Well in this system there is a way to use heal harm to bring back the dead...if you do it in time. And gives the healed character conflict....

That was the exception I mentioned.

Still, that's sort of a neat bonus, not an ongoing thing. Its not like d&d where there's a half dozen ways to bring someone back from the dead.

Granted star wars is that nice scifiantasy, allowing the GM to bring someone back when the story calls, so you got wiggle room. But its not a staple of the setting...