If you are making the Core set cards not 3x...

By Barbacuo, in General Discussion

Nothing. Being in the dead pile just means you can't Marshal a copy of that character into play, it has no effect on an extant character or attaching a dupe to that character.

Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that you cannot marshal a dupe if that character is in the dead pile(which is different from first edition). I'll have to check the RRG again when I have some time later, but you're probably right. It may have just been someone else's incorrect comment that is just stuck in my brain.

Nothing. Being in the dead pile just means you can't Marshal a copy of that character into play, it has no effect on an extant character or attaching a dupe to that character.

Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that you cannot marshal a dupe if that character is in the dead pile(which is different from first edition). I'll have to check the RRG again when I have some time later, but you're probably right. It may have just been someone else's incorrect comment that is just stuck in my brain.

Actually, that is the rule in 1st edition.

A player cannot marshal, play, put into play, or take control of a copy of any unique () card that is in his or her dead pile.

A player may use additional copies, by title, of any unique card (indicated by a “” symbol in its title) he or she owns and controls in play as duplicates.

It seems that the rule has not changed in 2nd edition: since duplicates are copies by title of the card they dupe, you cannot marshal one if another copy is in your deck pile. But I'm not sure, so we'd better ask FFG.

Yep, I think I'm wrong. Just goes to show what longstanding assumptions just never happen to get challenged.

Unique Cards

A card with the {unique} symbol before its card title is a “unique” card. Each player may only have a maximum of one instance of each unique card, by title, in play.
•A player may marshal (or put into play by a card ability) additional copies of each unique card he or she owns and controls, placed as a duplicate on that card, for no cost.

•A player cannot take control of a unique card if he or she already controls or owns an in-play copy of that card.

•A player cannot bring into play or take control of a unique card if a copy of that card is in his or her dead pile.

The wording indicates that until it's placed, it's not a duplicate that loses all its titles, types, text, etc. So yeah, it's stuck in your hand at that point.

Seems Nedly. You've got "one foot in the grave" as it were.

I don't think I've ever played it incorrectly in first edition, but I guess I had thought you could drop a dupe in play even if there's a copy that was dead.

It makes perfect sense to me that you cannot anyway. :)

Becoming a Kingslayer

One time rules for tournament deck from a single core:

Kingslayer Deckbuilding Rules
To build a deck for this tournament, a player selects the following:
A plot deck of seven plot cards . A second copy of a single plot card may be chosen if more than one copy of that plot card exists in the Core Set.
All of the cards from any two factions . A player’s faction choices are indicated by using the faction card from both of the chosen factions. Agenda cards, such as the Banner agendas, are not used for this event. Each of the twenty Core Set cards, both loyal and non-loyal, from both of the chosen factions must be included in the player’s deck.
A minimum of ten neutral cards . For neutral cards that appear more than three times in the Core Set, no more than three copies of the card may be included in a deck.
Plot choices, faction choices, and/or neutral card choices may be adjusted between each round of the event, as long as players are ready to begin play at the start of the next round. A player who is happy with his or her deck is not required to adjust his or her deck between rounds.