Knockback in the FAQ

By Ezhaeu, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi there,

Search function in this forum is not so good, so I just go ahead and ask a question that might have been answered before.

The FAQ (page 2) states:

Knockback and Large Monsters
Large monsters (monsters that occupy more than one space) are heavier and therefore less affected by Knockback. For each space beyond the first that the monster occupies, it is moved one less space by Knockback. For example, an ogre occupies four spaces, so it would move three fewer spaces when affected by the Knockback ability. A dragon, on the other hand, occupies six spaces, so it would move five fewer spaces.

So since knockback moves a figure 3 spaces away, that basically means you cannot knockback an ogre or a dragon? Only large monsters that would move are Hell Hounds (occupy 2 spaces) and Wendigos?

Ezhaeu said:

Hi there,

Search function in this forum is not so good, so I just go ahead and ask a question that might have been answered before.

The FAQ (page 2) states:

Large monsters (monsters that occupy more than one space) are heavier and therefore less affected by Knockback. For each space beyond the first that the monster occupies, it is moved one less space by Knockback. For example, an ogre occupies four spaces, so it would move three fewer spaces when affected by the Knockback ability. A dragon, on the other hand, occupies six spaces, so it would move five fewer spaces.

So since knockback moves a figure 3 spaces away, that basically means you cannot knockback an ogre or a dragon? Only large monsters that would move are Hell Hounds (occupy 2 spaces) and Wendigos?

Yes and No.

Yes: Hell Hounds, Wendigos, Blood Apes all would only move 2 spaces.

No: You can knockback ogres and dragons, but it requires the use of a certain item whose name I can't remember. I think its a Silver weapon, who gets extra spaces of knockback for surges.

Ezhaeu said:

Search function in this forum is not so good,

And the understatement of the year award goes to.... ;)

Big Remy said:

Ezhaeu said:

Hi there,

The FAQ (page 2) states:

Yes and No.

Yes: Hell Hounds, Wendigos, Blood Apes all would only move 2 spaces.

No: You can knockback ogres and dragons, but it requires the use of a certain item whose name I can't remember. I think its a Silver weapon, who gets extra spaces of knockback for surges.

The silver weapon to which you refer is the fabled "mace of Kellos," available in AoD and still listed in the faq as something "removed from the game that may be added later" (or some such nonsense) since it's used in an example in the JitD rulebook. There is also a good weapon, which I believe is called the "Hammer of Doom" and gives more free surges and even more potential knockback.