Business Cards for Game Cards?

By JCHendee, in Talisman Home Brews

A notion struck me the other day while picking up office supplies. I was wandering, just seeing if there was something I needed that wasn't on my list. I came across something akin to the following...

www.amazon.com/Avery-Two-Side-Printable-Business-08871/dp/B00006IBV7/ref=sr_1_5

What if, for specialty decks only, the cards were designed to be quickly and easily printable on something that would become instant cards with no trimming, label pasting, etc.? There are obviously pros and cons to this. For one, it could not be used for any type of card to be inserted into a standard deck (such a shame). But it does have some obvious advantages for ease of end-user creation and likely a reduced cost for the process.

So... what other pros and cons (aside from just having to match other card sizes) are there to consider? Weigh in with your thoughts and reasons please.

----

Oh, and how about some others as well

4 to a sheet postcard size (5.5x4.25), a little larger than a Character Card, and as quarter sheets wouldn't allow full bleed.
www.amazon.com/Avery-Postcards-Inkjet-Printers-08387/dp/B00006B8G7/ref=sr_1_2

Or similar, at 6x4, so likely two per sheet with the potential for semi-full bleed printing.
www.amazon.com/Avery-Dennison-8386-Postcards-Printers/dp/B0006HV3GC/ref=sr_1_6

This has been done before by Sam Wallace of Talisman Quest. He remade his entire card deck using business card stock along with any home made creations so it would all match up. It was a bit of work, but turned out okay in the end.

Interesting... not sure I'd go that far. Was only thinking of specialty expansions with cards not to be mixed with standard decks.

It would be unusual that an expansion would be self-contained so that it would not have any crossover cards, but obviously not impossible.

I know Scott Davenport's Rainforest expansion (download link ) managed this by using the Magic Stream and Fountain of Wisdom as "trigger" cards for his expansion. It therefore works with any edition of Talisman.

Using larger cardstock does give an advantage though, especially for your Great City cards, where space is at a premium.

True about the large cards... except there are double-size business cards designed to be folded. When left flat they more space than two talisman cards. Still, it was just a notion... though it does offer people a way to have finished cards (almost) straight out of the printer. Not really certain of it either way.

My only possibility for things I have planned are the Great City cards (a double-business card) and the dependant City Title cards for characters accumulating certain amounts of Renown. (Somewhat akin to the so called Master Characters, though they have to earned instead of bought or taken). I really should finish up that rules PDF for review, so I can turn back to deck construction.