a FEW BASIC QUESTIONS

By LETE, in Age of Conan

Hi!

We've just finsihed playing & had a few basic questions & clarifications; if anyone would be kind enough to answer 'em (or, please redirect me to the opriginal answers):

1. What constitutes a neutral province ? Would any empty province count as neutral - even a "savage" one?

2. How do you militarily attack a neutral province?

3. In a 2-3 player game, what happens to objectives or other type of cards that have to be accomplished in the region no-one's playing?

4. Is the first player always the Conan player? Seems that this is not always so (some parts of the text contradict this)

Thanks a lot!

Lete

Who?

LETE said:

1. What constitutes a neutral province ? Would any empty province count as neutral - even a "savage" one?

2. How do you militarily attack a neutral province?

3. In a 2-3 player game, what happens to objectives or other type of cards that have to be accomplished in the region no-one's playing?

4. Is the first player always the Conan player? Seems that this is not always so (some parts of the text contradict this)

#1: p. 6: "- A neutral province is any province that is neither friendly, nor enemy." Friendly and enemy are defined above that.

#2: p. 11: "Players attack by moving an army located in a province into one adjacent neutral
or adjacent enemy province to start a military contest there, or
by starting a military contest in a province already containing a
friendly army on campaign. Military contests are described on page
15."

#3: IIRC, Conan can move to out-of-play areas for his quests. For objectives, I'd say this applies:

"If no player completes a given objective, the objective remains in play during the next age." (p. 19)

#4: p. 10: "At the start of the game, the Conan player takes the
fi rst turn, followed by the player to his left, and so on around
the table. If gameplay is ever interrupted due to the end of an
adventure or an age change phase, the player who would take the
next turn takes the fi rst player token. Once gameplay resumes, the
player with the fi rst player token takes the fi rst turn and gameplay
continues as normal."

Should point out that my answers are from just reading the rules, AoC is still on my to-buy list, just that other games got in the way (Arkham Horror, Talisman, Man O War, etc.) sonrojado.gif .

HELL-O!

Thanks again for the quick answer!

I am mostly confused on the wording of the options in the Military die description... Seems like there's no room to attack a neutral province - other than first moving to a friendly one. Then, what happens the first time an army moves in the game? Can the army attack or does the army stops movement & the player has to wait a round? Or maybe something else? llorando.gif

L

Who?

Moving into a neutral province is part of the attack action, and you do not HAVE to move an army into a friendly province first....

Titeman said:

Moving into a neutral province is part of the attack action, and you do not HAVE to move an army into a friendly province first....

Exactly, the movement into a neutral or enemy province is not part of the movement action, but rather part of the attack in a Military action.

And what is an "army"? Is it just one (1) unit or can I move up to five units into a neutral province on my first turn in the game, during a Military action?

Doesn't make sence to only move 1 unit into a neutral province with a rating of 4. Kinda hard to win that contest…

From page 11 of the Rulebook: "All army units present in a single province are collectively called an army ."