What do you guys like to use for scenery?

By Budsky, in Anima: Tactics

Howdy all. I'm the type who likes A LOT of cool scenery and detail in my skirmish level wargames. I was wondering what you guys like to use. Of course, GW stuff comes to mind but sometimes it can be a bit t oo gothic for me at times. I don't mind putting a bit of work into assembling and painting stuff, I just draw a blank when I need to sculpt stuff on the spot. Thoughts anyone? happy.gif

For my terrain I have been drawing inspiration from Record of Lodoss War, Legend of Crystania, Berserk and Slayers. All of which are High Fantasy Anime setting with not only Castles and buildings but great Landscapes to draw from.

I've been keeping my scenery fairly basic and often use some of GW's recent scenery packs (the forest, the watchtower, the arcane ruins and the walls work very well) although I stay away from my mordhieim stuff which is way too gothic.

Other than that I use a few hills, which I bought from my local game store for cheap,somtimes some river tiles which can be made fairly easily useing cardboard (or posterboard) some paint and some "water effects" glue which should be easy to find at any hobby shop. If your at a loss check out model train shops, or store sections, which often have a huge ammount of terrain kits (somtimes very unusual ones) although the scale may be a bit off.

I was lucky enough to end up with a complete set of John Jenkins Designs Japanese village; I am not sure if they are still availabe however as he moved to making 54mm after he made them. Real nice guy though and very talented. They have prooved to be very useful and most atmospheric; they have removable roofs so charicters can actually enter them. I also use a lot of trees I made from an old synthetic Xmas tree, always have a river to restrict direct movement and allow those that can fly to use their advantage and a bridge for those that can't. I have one of the French Revolution bridges from Eureka Miniatures. In another game I used a 1m x 1m castle ruin that I made from loose fiberboard (good stone texture). The ramparts, steps and towers made for an interesting, although some what bloody, game. I lost but then I usualy do!

Mike

I'm trying to find the time to build some scenery with Woodland Scenics scenery kits. I find their stuff better (and cheaper) than GW. I'm just wanting to make a forested area with a waterfall and river.

I use a lot of desert terrain. With Nomad tents, an oasis, a few palm trees, lots of rocks and mountains an sometimes a ruin. Most is selfmade, I don't like the way most of the pre-fab terrain looks like.

I am going to wait and see what the Anima Tactics Rulebook shows. I can also look at the RPG game book also. I like to make scenery that reflects the game mood and illustration.

I do have terrain for various games. There is a variation for the game that uses grids. I may change out the base for the figures so that it works with the D&D or Star Wars miniature maps.

Mike Broadbent said:

I was lucky enough to end up with a complete set of John Jenkins Designs Japanese village; I am not sure if they are still availabe however as he moved to making 54mm after he made them. Real nice guy though and very talented. They have prooved to be very useful and most atmospheric; they have removable roofs so charicters can actually enter them. I also use a lot of trees I made from an old synthetic Xmas tree, always have a river to restrict direct movement and allow those that can fly to use their advantage and a bridge for those that can't. I have one of the French Revolution bridges from Eureka Miniatures. In another game I used a 1m x 1m castle ruin that I made from loose fiberboard (good stone texture). The ramparts, steps and towers made for an interesting, although some what bloody, game. I lost but then I usualy do!

Mike

I just checked those out. They are really cool! When I get the rulebook, I want to match up the Hero group I choose with something the evokes their turf.

Having flipped through the book at the local shop, I was looked at the terrain they used and the cathedral parts that they have as a backdrop for the Church figures are all from Pegasus Hobbies. I don't know specifically what parts they use, but I see parts from their Gothic City Building Set 2 and possibly Set 1. However, there is more to what they built for the cathedral than just that (those?) sets.