Gluttony, Orders and Timing

By Parathion, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

The Gluttony treachery card says

"At the end of each hero´s turn..." discard a potion or roll a die and lose 1 wound except on a blank.

Basic rules for a Ready action say:

"The order may be placed at any time during his turn."

How is the timing on this one? Is the order always placed before the Gluttony roll, making it very likely to lose it immediately (except Dodge)?

Or could a hero say that he places the order "at the end of his turn" and then choose the ...ehm... order of resolving both effects (similar to start of turn effects)?

Thoughts?

According to the rules, multiple effects that happen "at the end of your turn" are resolved in an order of your choosing, so the hero can choose to roll Gluttony first and then place an order.

Steve-O said:

According to the rules, multiple effects that happen "at the end of your turn" are resolved in an order of your choosing, so the hero can choose to roll Gluttony first and then place an order.

I would disagree with this. Placing an order is not an "end of turn" effect, its the result of declaring a Ready Action.. If you declare a Ready action, you can place the order at anytime during your turn. You have to declare you turn as done in order for Gluttony to kick in.

Steve-O said:

This rule is only valid for "start of turn" effects, as far as I know. Although it would be a logical extension, if you could move placing your order to the "end of the turn".

I'm not sure I see the relevance here. Potions and orders are not the same thing. Why does it matter if you can place an order before or after gluttony takes effect? In case you want to rest because you had to discard a fatigue potion? Do you have to discard a potion if you have one, or can you just elect to roll the die and possibly take the wound?

In either case, I would agree that an order being placed and any movement being spent, etc. all happens DURING the turn, whereas gluttony takes place at the END. END means your turn is done, you have officially declared you aren't doing anything else...then gluttony happens. If you don't place an order before gluttony (since readying heroes "may" place and order during their turn), you don't place an order. Period.

Thanks for all the feedback.

@ Feanor: It is of relevance since you would lose any order except dodge if you take a wound from the Gluttony effect.

Parathion said:

Thanks for all the feedback.

@ Feanor: It is of relevance since you would lose any order except dodge if you take a wound from the Gluttony effect.

Ah yes--duh, hadn't thought of that. Better have a potion ready to burn or some leadership available if you want to guard with gluttony in play. Whoops.

I'd think that you can place an order after the damage.

A related issue to this is guard attacks. Say the OL asks if you want to use your guard attack and you say no. The OL then declares his turn to be over. Can you interrupt his end of turn? If you can spend an order at the end of turn, you should be able to place one also.

Another bellwether is whether you'd think gluttony would go off after a stunning gas trap (reads ". . . and the hero's turn ends immediately.") Orders almost certainly can't be placed at that point, so if you think end of turn events still happen, then placing order should not occur after end of turn events. I'd think that pausing to chug a potion does not constitute an immediate end, but it is an unclear point.

As an unrelated point, ghost armor would allow the hero to place an order, even with the harsher gluttony interpretation.

Badend said:

A related issue to this is guard attacks. Say the OL asks if you want to use your guard attack and you say no. The OL then declares his turn to be over. Can you interrupt his end of turn? If you can spend an order at the end of turn, you should be able to place one also.

You can interrupt his end of turn, but that means he's not ending his turn. You are interrupting him before he ends his turn. And if by using the guard order, the OL now wants to do something new, he can, so it is not the same situation.