Yibb-Tstill is TOUGH!

By shnar, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

We played last night, first time with both Dunwich and Kingsport add-ons. The Ancient One was Yibb-Tstll (sp?) and all I can say is he was TOUGH! The fact that you couldn't have more than 5 Clue Tokens was challenging enough, but due to an errant Rift opening up, he woke up pretty soon. His skill modifier is -X, where X is the number of Clue Tokens left on the board. We weren't sure if that meant just the Arkham board, or also the Kingsport and Dunwich boards. To give us something of a fighting chance, we decided just the Arkham boards (there were only 2 Clue tokens there, but 4 in Dunwich and 1 in Kingsport, at a minus SEVEN, that effectively took two of the four players out of the fight, so we said let's just do -2 and have something of a fight).

However, even at only -2, because he was "double the needed successes to remove a Doom Token", he was impossible to kill. We needed EIGHT success (times 11) to kill him. Two characters died after the first round, the other two were able to knock off two Doom tokens. The third player survived and was even Blessed, but didn't help since the next roudn he died. The exact same thing happened to the fourth player, survived and was Blessed, but the blessing didn't help and he only lasted one more round.

Anyways, just so's ya know, Yibb is one tough cookie. Don't let him wake up ;)

-shnar

P.S. Combining the two add-ons wasn't as bad as we thought, mainly because the Mythos deck is sooooo diluted now, the Dunwich Horror never got close to waking up (though Monster Surges sucked for that reason). Kingsport Horror though was VERY nicely done, since the "danger" there is not dependant on Kingsport Horror Mythos Cards (unlike Dunwich), so we had to early on send an Investigator up there to keep the rifts in check.

Was the poor chap who drew the short stick (aka got stuck on rifts duty) over the moon with joy?

All clues on all boards are counted for the purposes of the modifier.

The Dunwich and Kingsport books mention that the phrase "In Arkham" on all collateral now refers to Dunwich and Kingsport, and any other forthcoming board expansions. Therefore, the Feds Raid Arkham mythos card wipes out (non-spawn) monsters in ALL streets, and the Deputy's Patrol Wagon can be used to instantly move from and to a street or location on ANY board (not including, of course, Kingsport Head).

Yes, Yibb-Tstll is tough, and her -7 modifier would've made an already difficult fight utterly hopeless.

Oh wow! That makes the Paddy Wagon REALLY cool, being able to move between cities and suburbs like that.

The thing that killed us was Dunwich. All the original clue-tokens from the beginning of the game were still there, since we figured Ignore Dunwich until there are a lot of monsters and/or gates there. So no one ever collected the clues up there. If we had done a -7, two of us would be in the negative, therefore worthless in the fight. The other two were reduced to 1 and 2 dice. Needing to get 8 Successes for 11 Doom Tokens would have been statistically impossible.

As for the lone chap in Kingsport, actually he really liked it, since there aren't that many monsters up there, he was relatively safe to go around and have a bunch of encounters, keeping Rifts at bay. The more I think about it, the more ingenious Kingsport really is. Dunwich is kind of a hit/miss since it's dependant on DH-specific Mythos Cards, and with the Mythos deck so diluted, they rarely come up. Kingsport though, it doesn't matter which expansions you add to the game, it still gets a lot of activity and demands your attention. Kudos FFG :)

-shnar

Yibb is a toughy. The first time my group faced her we beat her pretty handily. However, everytime since then has been a much tougher battle. The thing that always does us in is her sinister plot that kills all the non-blessed investigators.

I would suggest using "Summon the Ancient One" against her. Since the spell is twice as effective at removing doom tokens

You could do this to a lesser degree already with Lure Monster spell, but with addition of Black Goat and it's Milk of Shub-Niggurath, I'm visioning Kingsport map more and more as a free range dumping ground for monsters. They got nowhere to go from there (barring flyers and a couple of greens). Wait until AH + DH are almost to capacity, drink Milk in KH and suddenly every frickin' monster never bothers you again aplauso.gif (sarcasm). You do that in the AH or DH map, you'll either hit monster limit or prep a whole slew of monsters for hitting vortices.

Sure they never bother anyone... But the drinker of the Milk :) That investigator will have a tough time to sneak and/or fight his way out of the location where he brought all the monsters to him!

@shnar: With Yibb-Tstill, knowing that you'll get a nasty modifier when she wokes up because of the clue tokens, you kinda have to sacrifice a bit of your time to really hit all unstable locations, even in Dunwich!

You *do* want to take into account the AO's Final Battle effects when playing the game.

We normally grab Clue tokens at the beginning of the game, so YT didn't have much effect. One of the players was Joe Diamond (get a bonue die when spending a Clue token), so we had an incentive to spend Clue tokens to do things other than seal gates. Since YT works against sealing gates, I guess YT is an incentive to farm the Unique Items deck more...

Fecktor said:

Sure they never bother anyone... But the drinker of the Milk :) That investigator will have a tough time to sneak and/or fight his way out of the location where he brought all the monsters to him!

Except, drinking the Milk reduces your Sanity to 0 and causes you to go insane, thus giving you a free ride to Arkham Asylum, problem solved.

My facebook profile statement for a while was 'I am Yibb-Tstill's tooth pick. I got absolutely obliterated by her. sorpresa.gif Ah happy memories.

First time I played Kingsport I played with Yibb-Tstill + Hypnos.

Bugger....

-11 combat rating llorando.gif

Good fun though

Usually a focus 3 investigator kills Ol'Yibby...they get blessed then re-blssed then lay down the beats!

Dam said:

Fecktor said:

Except, drinking the Milk reduces your Sanity to 0 and causes you to go insane, thus giving you a free ride to Arkham Asylum, problem solved.

So true... I forgot about that part.

...but it sure makes Rift duty harder, though, at least :)

MrsGamura said:

Usually a focus 3 investigator kills Ol'Yibby...they get blessed then re-blssed then lay down the beats!

I played a game against Yibb as the Handy-Man one time. I was the first investigator devoured in final combat. I felt horribly cheated.

Fecktor said:

...but it sure makes Rift duty harder, though, at least :)

Rift, smift lengua.gif !

If you want to waste time in KH after Milking hopefully 10+ monsters there, Summon Shantak or Deputy's Wagon.

Milking the monsters into KH is a suicide strategy. I realize you don't have KH, so you're not quite aware of how badly one would get one's ass killed doing that, but really, bad, bad, bad, bad idea. To be fair, it's not necessarily *that* bad. And it could be used under certain circumstances (like, if the game is already going terribly and the rifts are already open and you're just desperate to squeeze out another turn or two). Jamming up Kingsport with ten monsters will lead to two or three rifts being open. Two or three rifts being open is probably 4-6 more doom tokens within the next eight turns. Ugh... No. Thanks... And if there's a cthonian or a color from outer space (ugh), or flying monsters, or hounds (back to arkham)... No... I think that I'll skip that strategy ;')

What does the # of monsters on KH map matter regarding rifts? While I don't have KH, I have read the rules, which seem to state that rifts are tied down to the Mythos cards. Am I missing something preocupado.gif ?

Dam said:

What does the # of monsters on KH map matter regarding rifts? While I don't have KH, I have read the rules, which seem to state that rifts are tied down to the Mythos cards. Am I missing something preocupado.gif ?

I think that AVI is saying that late in a game, if the rifts have become too fargone to repair, the investigators aren't going to waste their time in Kingsport. If you then go to Kingsport and use the Milk of Shub-Niggurath (a Black Goat expansion item), you will instantly move all the monsters to Kingsport, where most will roam harmlessly, while the character who used the milk will be driven insane and drawn back to Arkham Asylum.

At least that would solve the issue of monsters and town mobility for a while.

If kingsport is full of monsters, it makes it harder to get rid of the rifts (unless you have the wagon,etc). And if you have all 3 rifts, good chance arkham/dunwich will fill up monsters + doom tokens that will happen even if you have highly unstable locations sealed.

typing one-handed while eating is annoying...