Kevan Lannisters support ability. How?

By FS1976, in Battles of Westeros

Hi there,

I'm not exactly sure if we're executing Kevan Lannisters ability correctly. Anyone out there who knows for sure how it's done?

The ability reads:

"Instead of attacking, Kevan's unit can give an adjacent friendly attacker 2 additional attack dice"

Now since the frase says ' Instead of attacking' I reckon that Kevans unit needs to be ordered AT THE SAME time as the friendly unit he wants to give the 2 additional dice?

Which means that this ability only can be used whenever Kevans unit is active at the same time as the friendly unit being supported. Is that correct?

Additionally I don't think Kevans unit needs to have an eligible target themselves in order to say that he forfeits his attack. He can just as well be standing BEHIND the friendly unit he wants to support, as long as the friendly unit is adjancent to Kevan... Right?

Thanks a bunch.

FS

When I started playing BoW some time ago, I had the very same problem. Talked about that on BGG; here 's the link with the answers I received.

Hope this helps

JULIA

Forgot to write thanks ;) Yes, it helped a lot.

- FS

I saw that link. Not sure I agree: the reason is the phrase "instead of attacking." That implies that Kevan's unit must also be able to attack. It's still a cool ability that I use- +2 dice are always welcome. I tend to think the other infantry in his unit are his shields.

Nope. This was also clarified in the "corrected rules", a non-official document that actually is rather official since it was created with the supervision and approval of Rob Kouba (the creator of the game). Pag. 27:

Kevan Lannister-Trusted Captain
Does not have to be adjacent to target enemy Unit to grant additional combat dice to friendly attacking
Units.
May use Ability while Engaged. May grant additional combat dice to adjacent friendly ranged
attackers. In addition, if Kevan uses the Ability on a friendly Unit that has a bonus attack, such as a
Unit that may Pursue X, the additional combat dice can also be used for bonus attack(s) as long as the
attacking Unit remains adjacent to Kevan's Unit for each attack. So, a Unit granted additional combat
dice by Kevan could Pursue and then add two combat dice for the bonus attack, as long as the final hex
moved into before the bonus attack is also adjacent to Kevan's Unit. The optional rule Reduced
Strength Units does not affect Kevan's ability to grant additional combat dice.