Giving a hive some character

By Gurkhal, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Ok, guys. I've got a campaign going set in a hive called Eskandor with a foe known as the One King as the boss man for their main antagonists. But I've got some complaints that the Imperium don't seem as such a multi-cultural place as the word say it would be, with each other having its own culture and all that.

So therefor I turn here to ask for some advice on how to make this hive memorable and not "another hive". Right now I'm thinking of drawing some inspiration from the Elder Scrolls Dunmer but thought that I would also ask for some additional perspectives on the issue.

The things that I have already established is that:

- Ancestor cults are a big part

- Majority population is of brown skin and dark hair and eyes (rolled for the results if you need to ask)

- The hive is in a constant half-way civil war between the Imperium and the servants of the One King

Ideas and suggestions on how to make this hive some additional character to make it stand out and feel unique is appreciated.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. :)

Edited by Gurkhal

Not to shoot you down or anything, but any setting piece stands out only as much as players think it stands out. "Memorable" has countless definitions based on personal preferences. Effort and appreciation don't have a linear relationship, unfortunately; players can only appreciate so much of the work that has gone into a story. This is before considering setting concepts that never get explored because the players never ask about or experience it.

That being said, I think you already have a unique hive. Even better is that you are "showing" the hive's history, not just "telling" it. Can't ignore the fact that most everyone looks and acts similarly, after all. Having background events like that civil war also healthily injects some drama into the mix. You have enough distinctive features incorporated into this hive that it should remain memorable even without any more supplements.

Edited by Asymptomatic

Make hair length and haircut a sign of social standing. Those of low standing keep it short (perhaps 3mm) and those who are in life-depth, “slaves” or doing penance shave their head.

Which means that all Imperial Soldiers as all members of the Ministorum shave their heads as
they are “given to the Emperor”.
Buns (sorry, EDIT: it is a "dud" in German, but you call it a BUN) are common sight among the middle classes (men as women alike) and those of high statues sport elaborate, tower-like hair does adorned with all kind of metal jewelry

People that introduce themselves to one of higher stand make a swinging gesture with their left hand that leaves it palm open. This might look like asking for tip, but it is not. The person of higher standing ackknowledges the lower one by tipping his fingertips with hers while have the hand higher then those said person, palm facing down.
The common “sign of the aquilla” is reserved for greating people of the Ministorum or for the context of religious ceremony.

Everyone wears a knife or slightly curved dagger all of the time. If an insult is made, pardon is demanded (and given) by cutting a tresse of the others hair. “Brawls” between people of middle (or lower) class happen in a way that sees both struggling to cut a strain of hair of the other, pushing and shoving and perhaps punching or kicking as both feel THEY have the right to cut a piece the others hair. While such is a rude behaviour and viewed as we would view bar room brawls or scuffels on the street actual CUTTING the other with knife/dagger is one of the most scandalous and shameful one can do. Such a person will be outcast from society, head shaven. Needless to say, in the lower hive some people might not have that much honour...

All judges (despite those of the Arbites) are blinded ritually as justice is meant to be blind. When a case is brought before court, names are never used and the respective lawyers speak for their clients. Needles to say, after a while a judges knows which attorney normally has what clients and is still able to be “partiel.”. (Edit: I wrote "impartial" first but meant "being partial" like "playing favors with somebody")

After each meal, the people flush there teeth with some kind of tea (green in colour) that is meant to clean the mouth. The tea is later spit into some kind of bowel and poured into a drain. If a snack is taken in the street, there are thereby large pots near the stable that are poured into the street drains after a while.

Four is an unlucky number. People never travel or gather by four and if a group of five has one of them leaving pre-maturely, the others will split up in groups of twos. Nothing is ever bought or sold in a group of four and if a woman ever gives birth to four childern, one of them is killed on the spot. The forth hour is ill-fated and people avoid leaving their homes during this hour (and try not to do anything important and will for sure not have sex because a child of such a union would be ill-fated).

The neck of a woman is considered something of special feminine quality (like breasts) and has to be coved entirely (woman wear a scarf as long as they are in places other men then their husband or children would frequent. Lately, leather made high-collars became a piece of fashion for rebellish young woman and dames of ill-repute).

FURTHER EDIT: Changed some of my messed gramma

Edited by Gregorius21778

Not to shoot you down or anything, but any setting piece stands out only as much as players think it stands out. "Memorable" has countless definitions based on personal preferences. Effort and appreciation don't have a linear relationship, unfortunately; players can only appreciate so much of the work that has gone into a story. This is before considering setting concepts that never get explored because the players never ask about or experience it.

That being said, I think you already have a unique hive. Even better is that you are "showing" the hive's history, not just "telling" it. Can't ignore the fact that most everyone looks and acts similarly, after all. Having background events like that civil war also healthily injects some drama into the mix. You have enough distinctive features incorporated into this hive that it should remain memorable even without any more supplements.

Thank you for your kind words. :) And I agree that the hive should have a pretty good foundation right now, but I thought that I would attempt to build it up a bit more as to try and make it come alive. But you are right in that it might not be appreciated, in which case i suspect that I would have to do a retcon and cut back on some stuff.

Make hair length and haircut a sign of social standing. Those of low standing keep it short (perhaps 3mm) and those who are in life-depth, “slaves” or doing penance shave their head.

Which means that all Imperial Soldiers as all members of the Ministorum shave their heads as

they are “given to the Emperor”. Duds are common sight among the middle classes (men as women alike) and those of high statues sport elaborate, tower-like hair does adorned with all kind of metal jewelry

People that introduce themselves to one of higher stand make a swinging gesture with their left hand that leaves it palm open. This might look like asking for tip, but it is not. The person of higher standing ackknowledges the lower one by tipping his fingertips with hers while have the hand higher then those said person, palm facing down.

The common “sign of the aquilla” is reserved for greating people of the Ministorum or for the context of religious ceremony.

Everyone wears a knife or slightly curved dagger all of the time. If an insult is made, pardon is demanded (and given) by cutting a tresse of the others hair. “Brawls” between people of middle (or lower) class happen in a way that sees both struggling to cut a strain of hair of the other, pushing and shoving and perhaps punching or kicking as both feel THEY have the right to cut a piece the others hair. While such is a rude behaviour and viewed as we would view bar room brawls or scuffels on the street actual CUTTING the other with knife/dagger is one of the most scandalous and shameful one can do. Such a person will be outcast from society, head shaven. Needless to say, in the lower hive some people might not have that much honour...

All judges (despite those of the Arbites) are blinded ritually as justice is meant to be blind. When a case is brought before court, names are never used and the respective lawyers speak for their clients. Needles to say, after a while a judges knows which attorney normally has what clients and is still able to be “impartiel.”.

After each meal, the people flush there teeth with some kind of tea (green in colour) that is meant to be clean the mouth. The tea is alter spit into some kind of bowel and poured into a drain. If a snack is taken in the street, there are thereby large pots near the stable that are poured into the street drains after a while.

Four is an unlucky number. People never travel or gather by four and if a group of five has one of them leaving pre-maturely, the others will split up in groups of twos. Nothing is ever bought or sold in a group of four and if a woman ever gives birth to four childern, one of them is killed on the spot. The fouth hour is ill-fated people avoid leaving their homes during this hour.

The neck of a woman is considered something of special feminine quality (like breasts) and has to be coved entirely (woman wear a scarf as long as they are in places other men then their husband or children would frequent. Lately, leather made high-collars became a piece of fashion for rebellish young woman and dames of ill-repute).

Love these ideas! Not all of them will probably be added but several of them will without a doubt. :)

I'd suggest taking a look at how Hive Desolum was fleshed out in the core and take some tips from there, also look at the expanded character creation supplement avaliable in resourses for Hive characters and think up a few of your own.

How about the acolytes have been sent to investigate the main hive on a recently rediscovered world. It was once part of the impeium but has been cut off from neighbouring sectors for almost a century by warp storms. When the accolytes arrive, they find the hive (not just the top levels!) clean, brightly lit, with effecient and productive manufactorums crewed by happy human workers. When they investigate further it turns out the Tau are heavily involved on this world. The former human leaders having forsaken the Imperium and joined the Tau Empire. Now what will the accolytes do?

I think this wil certainly stand out, because the last thing anybody expects from an imperial hive is a brightly lit, well ordered, relativly safe, society!

* if you want to you can include an underhive filled with redemptionist gangs, the remants of humans who stayed true to the imperium having devolved into bands of religious fanatics.

Edited by Robin Graves

I'd suggest taking a look at how Hive Desolum was fleshed out in the core and take some tips from there, also look at the expanded character creation supplement avaliable in resourses for Hive characters and think up a few of your own.

Good idea! Will do that. :)

How about the acolytes have been sent to investigate the main hive on a recently rediscovered world. It was once part of the impeium but has been cut off from neighbouring sectors for almost a century by warp storms. When the accolytes arrive, they find the hive (not just the top levels!) clean, brightly lit, with effecient and productive manufactorums crewed by happy human workers. When they investigate further it turns out the Tau are heavily involved on this world. The former human leaders having forsaken the Imperium and joined the Tau Empire. Now what will the accolytes do?

I think this wil certainly stand out, because the last thing anybody expects from an imperial hive is a brightly lit, well ordered, relativly safe, society!

* if you want to you can include an underhive filled with redemptionist gangs, the remants of humans who stayed true to the imperium having devolved into bands of religious fanatics.

Would have been a good idea if the Imperial control of the hive wasn't already established. But I'll keep it in mind for future games. Thanks!