XCOM Boardgame Questions

By Dichotomy, in XCOM: The Board Game

Howdie All (First post so please go easy :) )

I have never really looked at board games before as a source of vicarious enjoyment, video games serve that role in my life.

That said I was attracted here by the concept of the XCOM board game. Looking over it and some of the other games here have really opened my eyes to the scope and complexity offered by board games. Not really the rather banal fare (in my opinion) of those I encountered growing up.

It was the writeup on STEAM that lured me here and I am rather glad it did. A whole new world of enjoyment awaits.

Anyway I did have a serious question.

In your experience with past FF games is there much chance of a release for XCOM in November or even December ? The release of info about it on the store page seems to indicate it has a way to go yet, even though some stores had the ETA as October, many had November and all had Q4 14.

Thanks for any help your provide. I am very much looking forward to this game and being able to enjoy it with the fresh eyes of a novice ;)

I am not sure why stores not directly affiliated with FFG would be giving out anything other than what FFG does for release dates.

I did call FFG about the release of a game that was listed as "On the boat" and they said that they did't want to give out anything more than what the website said. This (seemingly) being a standard practice so they don't have to push a launch date back, thus, making people mad.

So if it says Q4 2014....could be launched December 31st.

I am not sure why stores not directly affiliated with FFG would be giving out anything other than what FFG does for release dates.

I did call FFG about the release of a game that was listed as "On the boat" and they said that they did't want to give out anything more than what the website said. This (seemingly) being a standard practice so they don't have to push a launch date back, thus, making people mad.

So if it says Q4 2014....could be launched December 31st.

Thankyou for this. I was assuming this was likely the case. At least it does not rule out a release this year.

I don't really understand why retailers all have October/November release dates for this game. I imagine they are just guessing based on what the interpret Q4 as (either 1st month for the optimists, middle month for the realists, and 3rd month for the pessimists (of which there were none)) ;)

Thanks again.

PS Kinda makes me remember what waiting for xmass felt like when I was a kid ;)

Perhaps to drum up pre-orders? If people think the release date is close, they might be more inclined to pre-order to ensure they get a copy.

I preordered mine in uk and was given 8th December as delivery date. 2 weeks ago it was changed to 22nd november - not that really means a great deal.

In general FFG release are reasonable, there has only been a few games that went excessively past suggested dates

I preordered mine in uk and was given 8th December as delivery date. 2 weeks ago it was changed to 22nd november - not that really means a great deal.

In general FFG release are reasonable, there has only been a few games that went excessively past suggested dates

Wow a release date that gets pushed forward! Now thats a release date I can get behind. :)

I didn't even realise you could really pre-order. Anyone have any experience pre-ordering from an Australian supplier ?

Just wondering where would be the best place to pre-order from. Mainly interested in terms of delivery time, delivery safety and release time. I am not worried about cost issues.

Thanks in advance

First, welcome to a whole new world! Board games have changed so much since you've played them as a child. Check out www.boardgamegeek.com to see just how big this rabbit hole really is. FFG has never had hard release dates. They run with the " when the stores get it, it's released". You can follow the progress of the game in the up coming section on this website.

First, welcome to a whole new world! Board games have changed so much since you've played them as a child. Check out www.boardgamegeek.com to see just how big this rabbit hole really is. FFG has never had hard release dates. They run with the " when the stores get it, it's released". You can follow the progress of the game in the up coming section on this website.

Thanks mate. Really looking forward to it.