Sleep tokens and ambush encounters

By NigelTufnel, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

When the hero party is ambushed in an RtL encounter, I gather that there is nothing preventing heroes from hitting each other to remove sleep tokens. Is this correct? Also, is it correct that these 'attacks' ignore armor?

Finally, if a sleep token is removed in this way, does the awoken hero still get a complete turn? The removal of the sleep token is occurring after the point at which the turn is lost due to remaining sleep tokens (i.e., after the die check to remove tokens, and in the midst of the heroes' turn).

NigelTufnel said:

When the hero party is ambushed in an RtL encounter, I gather that there is nothing preventing heroes from hitting each other to remove sleep tokens. Is this correct? Also, is it correct that these 'attacks' ignore armor?

Finally, if a sleep token is removed in this way, does the awoken hero still get a complete turn? The removal of the sleep token is occurring after the point at which the turn is lost due to remaining sleep tokens (i.e., after the die check to remove tokens, and in the midst of the heroes' turn).

Yes you can have the guy who is awake attack one of the others or two I suppose if he battles and moves with fatigue, or a mage with Blast hit everyone :-)

Yes it ignores armor (treated as 0)

Remember that when doing so, unless you unequip your weapon you have to roll the full compliment of dice. You can choose not to spend surges and spend enhancements on range IIRC, but anything else gets applied. So if even doing an unarmed attack, you could do like 4 wounds to your fellow hero, which for a lot of heroes is 1/2-1/3 of their wounds.

Yes, the hero who had his sleep token removed in this manner gets a full turn, since the effects of a sleep token don't take place until the start of the hero's turn. No sleep token, no effects.

Big Remy said:

Yes, the hero who had his sleep token removed in this manner gets a full turn, since the effects of a sleep token don't take place until the start of the hero's turn. No sleep token, no effects.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, to clarify: Would the character have to be hit before he rolled dice to remove sleep tokens? Otherwise, it would seem to me that his turn has already started (since the dice are rolled at the start of his turn). In other words, once a figure has rolled dice to remove sleep tokens, its turn has begun and is over if the die roll fails--even if another hero comes along later and hits him. Correct?

NigelTufnel said:

Big Remy said:

Thanks for the quick reply. So, to clarify: Would the character have to be hit before he rolled dice to remove sleep tokens? Otherwise, it would seem to me that his turn has already started (since the dice are rolled at the start of his turn). In other words, once a figure has rolled dice to remove sleep tokens, its turn has begun and is over if the die roll fails--even if another hero comes along later and hits him. Correct?

Yes. You'd want to hit your comrades before their turn. Its entirely possible, though you'll take wounds doing it, to get everyone awake on the first turn by having the awake guy go, hit someone sleeping. That hero wakes up, hits the next one, etc etc. If you do that, make sure the last person is someone who can do some serious damage to the monsters who be breathing down your neck.

NigelTufnel said:

Big Remy said:

Yeah... if he's not "woken up" before his turn starts and he fails his sleep token roll, then he stays asleep. If he's hit later in the turn, then the sleep token gets removed at that point but he still has to wait until the next "hero" round as he has already taken his turn (by failing the sleep token roll)