how I won a dinner on FFG dime

By GouHadou, in UFS Tourney Reports

So this weekend i decided to visit my friends in the land of cheese. the event was MWCC2, spawn of last year's mwcc, and the beginning of my voldomar's stampede to winning nationals.

this year i thought to revisit the theme of playing with my favorite character from a certain license and i built up what i thought to be a pretty strong Zangief deck. he being of the Domination set seems very appropo given the end result of winning the regional cool.gif

unfortunately, at this time, i won't be posting the complete decklist yet, as i haven't decided on whether or not this will be the build i run at nationals in a few weeks. but here are some fun facts:

-undefeated throughout the event, not a single game loss (although doubled came the closest by bringing me down to 2 before i stabilized)

-to this day, NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION (except jack chang, who not only always top 8's, and has infamous luck with die rolls, but played me last year at nats and knows well the wrath of the uppity spaniards. yoga adept for those unfamiliar)

-i could back a deck with the amount of shiny cards ShadowDragon gave out over the course of the weekend (THANKS!!)

-gief wrecked house in ufs and sf4. the might of russia was not to be denied this weekend, in any form

-hata will tell you he beat my deck one game before the event started with his zhao. i will tell you that it was the first test of the deck after having it in order for the deck checklist and it checked horribly. so NYAH. playing that first crappy game got the cards shuffled enough for the rest of the day though gran_risa.gif

-the deck started off as algol with gief in the board as of the night before i came out here

-The Hangover is a loltastic movie. will buy the dvd for SURE

-hata is allergic to cats. so there you go. you know his weakness. i don't know how else to help you guys beat him in ufs. (he didn't lose a single game all weekend either *AHEM* except when i made him quit the night before the event partido_risa.gif so yeah. 1-1)

-green bay is full of awesome cats. extra props to the guys i met for the first time, and triple props to ben for being the cakefaced birthdayboy. BAM!

here's my tourney pairings breakdown:

r1 vs Ms Li W 1-0 (careful play and liberal doses of pommel smash, TA, and SoC kept her in check. not enough time to finish game 2)
r2 vs Zhao D D 0-0 (another turn would have given me the win. i make mental notes knowing this deck wil top8)
r3 vs Morrigan W 1-0 (knowing exactly what the deck was aiming for made this easier to deal with, but it still took hella long to seal it)
r4 vs Hanzo W 1-0 (was a long battle for control since he couldn't kickloop with gief ready, after a while i got all of his kicks rfg and wrap it up)

t8 vs zi mei W 2-0 (crazy up and down game, but i weather the storm and gief his deck away. game 2 he does 30 damage to me before i can stabilize *yikes* and get rid of all of his attacks)
t4 vs kyoshiro W 2-0 (ho...ly... crap. turn one he drops the frikken dloop combo pieces. i answer with a turn 1 SoC and keep building throughout the game keeping the loops at bay while getting rid of his TA's and spikes. great game playing against jack, but the matchup was an uphill battle - having the win condition turn 1 still wasn't enough to put away the hairy russian, so he concedes the match after getting giefed game one)
Final vs ZD W 2-0 (i KNEW i'd see her again. Evan played her fantastically and caught me asleep in the early turns and was able to get rid of my wonderworld warriors with Twinkie Hug. this had the adverse effect of me not being able to rfg things as fast as i would have liked, but i was still able to keep up with his control and slowly gief him as well. great meeting you!)

so now the entirety of Team Nice Head will be at the dinner of champions at GenCon. but to tell you the truth, whether i won a regionals or not, i was gonna crash the dinner- who else will keep that sexy beast son of mine Olexa in line? lengua.gif

as always, i had a great time here with my Wisconsin homies, and thanks to the Carpenters for their hospitality, you are my favorite cheeseheads aplauso.gif

Hey Omar... if they deck is so good... you can reveal it, and it will still beat the masses after it's public knowledge.

GouHadou said:

-to this day, NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION

I'm partiallly Spanish ethniclly so I always expect it. Now FFG needs to give me a vega I can go all Tomás de Torquemada on people's asses with. And he better have a mask to, well, uh PROTECT HIS FACE!

Good work with the tourny, but how many cards will be banned now just because you won? The entire all symbol?

BTW Omar you owe me, otakuV and deck_don't _matter a char card for not coming to Can Nats and totally scooping our hotel arrangment lol.

Congratulations on winning the regional, and with mill, no less. The spirit of Voldomar lives on in...uh...Zangomar?

...yeah, that ne's gotta go back to R&D for some work, sorry <_<

At any rate, I can't wait to throw down with Mr. Wrestle with Bears at Worlds >=D

Also, yes - what cards did you get banned this time?

Antigoth said:

Hey Omar... if they deck is so good... you can reveal it, and it will still beat the masses after it's public knowledge.

i see what you did there. no dice this time. phill jackson doesn't walk over and hand the lakers playoff playbook to the opposing teams, so i think you might understand why i won't reveal the deck i may play with for nats.

bloodocean said:

Good work with the tourny, but how many cards will be banned now just because you won? The entire all symbol?

BTW Omar you owe me, otakuV and deck_don't _matter a char card for not coming to Can Nats and totally scooping our hotel arrangment lol.

1- probably

2- absolutely

MegaGeese said:

Congratulations on winning the regional, and with mill, no less. The spirit of Voldomar lives on in...uh...Zangomar?

At any rate, I can't wait to throw down with Mr. Wrestle with Bears at Worlds >=D

1- that name is shameful goose.

2- i think i got foundations banned as a whole this time. ufs will now only be played with attacks and assets and actions. obviously the control checks on attacks themselves will see a rise in order to facilitate playing more than 1 card a turn

TWO MORE DAMAGE....TWO!!!

Ah well, it was superfantasitcawesomesauce to see you again! Also, Hata did lose games this weekend, Friday night he lost a match to me. He blames it on a lack of sleep... <.<

Congrats again, and thanks for the Shadowmar Mat!

SHOW ME DEM HANDS!!!! BAM!

good job omar, i'm proud of you mang.

YOU THE BEST MAYNE! YOU DID IT!

Scott Gaines said:

good job omar, i'm proud of you mang.

YOU THE BEST MAYNE! YOU DID IT!

eli-porter.jpg

Congratulations, man. All can be rather beastly.

GouHadou said:

MegaGeese said:

1- that name is shameful goose.

2- i think i got foundations banned as a whole this time. ufs will now only be played with attacks and assets and actions. obviously the control checks on attacks themselves will see a rise in order to facilitate playing more than 1 card a turn

I hearby dub the deck OMGief

Centipede said:

I hearby dub the deck OMGief

NOICE