App and subtitles

By barinthus, in XCOM: The Board Game

I am wondering will the app be subtitled to make it accessible to players who do not hear?

Of course if anything it should be toggleable so those who don't want to have subtitles don't have to deal with it.

I am wondering will the app be subtitled to make it accessible to players who do not hear?

Of course if anything it should be toggleable so those who don't want to have subtitles don't have to deal with it.

From what we've seen so far, there is no speech to be heard.

Thanks, Bleached

This is good to know - my friends and I are looking forward to this game!

Be nice to have someone official to confirm we don't have to worry about missing out on audio info but I just read an article here about the app and it looks like it should be fine.

Thanks, Bleached

This is good to know - my friends and I are looking forward to this game!

Be nice to have someone official to confirm we don't have to worry about missing out on audio info but I just read an article here about the app and it looks like it should be fine.

I would imagine that if there is spoken audio, it will at most be for flavour only. I can imagine they'll get the app to say "Remember, Commander - we will be watching..." between rounds, but that's about it.

Yeah, speech that actually matters to game play would be a problem, because if the player's are talking when it pipes up they might miss some of it.

Still, if there IS speech (even just fluff,) I'm sure the hearing impaired would appreciate some way of tracking what was said.

Another question along these lines would be if colours shown on screen matter for game play, and is there consideration for colourblind players? Might be a bit of a bummer if you can never (effectively) be the app-controller player due to something like that.

I doubt it will include non-flavor speech. That defeats the purpose of a communication officer. I think it's their job to relay all that info.

Not that I saw the screen, but during the GenCon demos the app was purely text/images and the player in charge of the app was the one to verbally relay that information to the rest of the group.

I have only played through one time, but I don't recall any spoken words. There are some sound effects (such as a different one when UFOs are detected vs when it is time to deploy your squad) but those are always accompanied by written instructions.

Yeah, there are sound samples that are played for flavour, but no speech, let alone any that's part of the game mechanics. You can turn off the sound entirely and still play, though, at least on solo, it helps to have the pips audible to tell when the time for an action is almost up.