Focusing and Requesting Assistance During Final Battle

By jeremyj621, in Elder Sign

I know the rule book specifically states that during the final battle an investigator cannot focus dice or request assistance during the final battle. During my last few play sessions, I suspended this rule to see how it affects the final battle and found out that even with focusing or requesting assistance, the final battle is still challenging. Only once did it help in defeating the Ancient One. After all, it only makes sense that the investigators work together to defeat the Ancient One. Investigators aren't going to sit on the sidelines while one of their companions attacks.

I know the final battle is supposed to be difficult, but without focusing or requesting assistance, it can be almost impossible. If luck goes against the players and they can't prevent the Ancient One from awakening, at least give them some sense of hope!

I think the hopeless battle against the Ancient One with little to no chance of success is very Lovecraftian.

Unlike in Arkham Horror, you should avoid the battle at all costs.

Edited by klaymen_sk

Yep. Additionally, if you look in the rulebook, pag 2 (bottom of the leftmost column), it reads:

Players should be warned that battle against the Ancient One almost always ends in failure and death.

So, the designer clearly stated they wanted final battle to be almost impossible; as Klaymen said, it's a typical Lovecraft ending. If you see that Final Battle is inevitable, try to spend your remaining trophies to gain items that will help you through the battle.

Edited by Julia

Yep. Additionally, if you look in the rulebook, pag 2 (bottom of the leftmost column), it reads:

Players should be warned that battle against the Ancient One almost always ends in failure and death.

So, the designer clearly stated they wanted final battle to be almost impossible; as Klaymen said, it's a typical Lovecraft ending. If you see that Final Battle is inevitable, try to spend your remaining trophies to gain items that will help you through the battle.

That's true, but I still believe the investigators should be working together to defeat the Ancient One, allowing focusing and requesting assistance. As I stated above, this only helped once to defeat an Ancient One, so the final battle, with focusing and requesting assistance, is still extremely difficult. Suspending this rule has little impact on the final battle, but gives the investigators some (small) sense of prevailing against nearly impossible odds.

Well, the only important thing is remember it's a game and can be bent according to our likenings :) Play the way you find the most enjoyable :)