Mounted Combat

By Rayneth, in Only War Rules Questions

Hello,

I have some questions regarding the Mounted rules featured in Hammer of the Emperor.

First of all, the Irritable mount trait gives its rider a +20 bonus to Survival tests to use the Crushing Charge and rearing strike special actions. For the Rearing Strike action, this is a non issue, basically Roll (+0) survival with a bonus equal to the mount's Weapon or Ballistic skill. But what about Crushing Charge, which utilizes the rider's Weapon skill instead? Does the bonus increase to +40 or does it do nothing at all? Skittish has a similar albeit opposite query.

Secondly, is there a way for a mount to gain penetration for their melee weapons? Of the listed example mounts, the Krieg Death Rider Horse is the only one with a penetration rating above 0 for their natural weapon.

Huh, you're right. I think [Crushing Charge] is the odd one out here and should use the [survival {Skill}] in all cases. So go ahead and reap the benefits of that +40 Survival bonus, I say.

Natural weapon penetration is a hard sell. I believe natural Pen is intrinsic to a species and not something to be added on later. You could, however, go the cybernetic route and Mono the mount's new mechanized feet. That's pushing it though, and the mount might not do well with unnatural legs.

What about simply having the Tech Priest/Animal Whisperer add something akin to mono-horse shoes rather than replacing the entire limb altogether? It would be like adding an attachment to a weapon. The mount still gets to use its natural appendages, but now they have something a little sexier added on for punching through the punk-faces of the enemies of the Emperor.

I do like pearldrum1's solution. Something like adding mono-edged claws. Beyond that, I fail to see why anyone would get razor sharp added to their mount's natural weapons. 0 Multiplied by 2 is still 0. Beyond that is the realm of GM rules.

...I actually don't know how that solution completely slipped by me. You're absolutely right, Mono horse shoes or other natural weapon coating should be just dandy and much less extreme.

...I actually don't know how that solution completely slipped by me. You're absolutely right, Mono horse shoes or other natural weapon coating should be just dandy and much less extreme.

You can't think of everything , dude. I got your back.

Anything in the realm of some sort of techy attachment to what the creature is already rocking would be pretty rad. Adamantine canine teeth? Yes please. Tail apendage with the shock quality? I think I will take two, Bob.

You know, just riding combat bikes solves so many problems :P

Combat bikes.... UNDER YOUR MOUNTS.

Ride your mount while it rides a combat bike. Get at me, Xzibit.