Light Sabers

By jhwedmd, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Hey folks,

This may have been touched on before, but how does this game handle a melee weapon which is essentially a one hit kill weapon?

Darth certainly has one and depending on which Luke they choose to use, he may have one as well. As we know from ALL the movies, light sabers cut through just about anything, so unless they nerf them into colored bats (ala The Old Republic), how does one balance that in a board game?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

You have to think abstractly with lightsabers. Just because you attack with one, doesn't mean you hit your target square-on. If you deal some damage but don't defeat your unit, you could consider that as a glancing blow. After all, Vader took a solid hit straight to his right arm and it didn't cut off his arm, much less cut through him completely.

But it seems there will be few lightsabers in this game (at least in the base game) so if they are more powerful, I can tolerate that.

You have to think abstractly with lightsabers. Just because you attack with one, doesn't mean you hit your target square-on. If you deal some damage but don't defeat your unit, you could consider that as a glancing blow. After all, Vader took a solid hit straight to his right arm and it didn't cut off his arm, much less cut through him completely.

But it seems there will be few lightsabers in this game (at least in the base game) so if they are more powerful, I can tolerate that.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Some times light saber fights cause missing hands but not always death.