Bligh versus Bligh

By Spatulaodoom, in Fan Fiction

I just tonight finished running my players through Lure of the Expanse. I tend to take the published adventure as more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules. As such my reworking, off the cuff modifications in response to player actions and ideas, meddling, and upgrading the threat of some under powered NPC's resulted in a much longer game than if I'd just played straight out of the book.

I am inordinately pleased with the result.

The basic premise of the campaign is as follows.

The Bligh dynasty is a large, powerful, and ancient Rogue Trader Dynasty operating to expand the fringes of the Ultima Segmentium. The current warrant holder and head of house is one Lucius Bligh, a living legend among Rogue Traders who has worked tirelessly to expand the reach of mankind, beat back it's many enemies, and get rich beyond the dreams of mortal man doing it.

But this isn't his story.

You see Lucius is an old man. Having passed his three hundred and seventy fifth birthday, even the most potent and expensive of Rejuvinant techniques cannot sustain him for much longer, and he feels the gradual approach of death. Satisfied with his life, he sees no need to attempt extreme measures to continue his existence, but there is the problem of an heir. After losses sustained in supporting one of the Imperium's never ending crusades the Bligh Dynasty is without an heir. Lucius sees no obvious candidates. Oh there are worthy Blighs no doubt, many of them in fact, but none that shine brighter than the others.

So Lucius took the dozen best, as he judged it and set them a task. Take a ship from the fleet, a seed of wealth and contracts, and go forth outside Bligh territory to bring glory, power, and wealth to the name. After some years, if they are not declared enemies of the Imperium, the survivors would reconvene to regale the head of the dynasty with their tales and display their wealth and gathered power, and from among them Lucius would select his heir.

So then this is the story of one of those potentials.

Cornelius William Bligh , a young scion of house Bligh noted for his ruthlessness and daring. And that of his companions, people of brilliance and strength he befriended and gathered in his formative years.

Athena Bloodraven , an unparalleled warrior from a remote death world reputed to be populated only by women and giant lizard creatures. Since she left her home planet she has made a study of tactical warfare and become one of the most flexible and dangerous of the crew.

Magos Jinx of Sk4227 , a brilliant tech priest believed to be possessed of emotions too powerful for the tastes of the Ad Mech he was made an Explorator. He has been toeing the line of tech heresy, something that Cornelius cautiously supports.

Father O'Brannigan , a jovial and excitable priest of the Imperial Cult who, despite his age, is a stalwart supporter of the young Bligh. Certain rumours of decadence and improper activities have made him happy to leave his home sector.

Vir Ansom is O'Brannigan's opposite, a quiet and serious Astropath, ascetic, and strategist. His powers of perception go even beyond that of most Astropaths, and while not much of a warrior Bligh is more than happy to have him.

As the youngest Cornelius and his companions were given first pick of a ship, and after some consideration and argument it was settled on a somewhat unorthodox choice. The Love Boat. An ostentatious Orion Star clipper meant more for trade negotiations and incognito travel than war, despite her speed and solid laser based weaponry.

Along with the ship the crew of adventurers gained the services of the ship's former (NPC) Captain. A squat abhuman of mysterious origin, known as Tattoo , a pseudonym he'd taken to help him evade a shadowy cabal known as The Workshop, who he claims wishes to wipe him from existence. While not an adventurous spirit or even much of a warrior like the others Tattoo has proven his worth as an aide de camp and spymaster with his contacts and surprising breadth of knowledge.

On the advice of a great aunt who favoured him Cornelius and his new companions took a secret passage, speeding their way across nearly the breadth of the Imperium to the Calixis sector and soon thereafter the Kronus Expanse. There the name of Bligh is known to some degree, but so many light years away from the centre of power it carries little of the the prestige or weight it does closer to home.

Something Cornelius aimed to change.

He would find out later that he was not the only Bligh to pick this far flung corner of the universe to make his fortune in.