Token Unit

By Asgard, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Hi,

I have a question about toke unit is they a army unit or not.

No, a Token unit is a Token unit, as specified by the 'Token' type in the top left of the card. All cards have their type in the same location (Warlord, Army, Support, Attachment, Event or Token).

They are 3 types of units :

- Warlord unit

- Token unit

- Army unit

Each time a card refer to a Unit, without precision, it refers to all types.

Can a token unit claim command during the command phase at a planet if there are no other units apposing it ?

Can a token unit claim command during the command phase at a planet if there are no other units apposing it ?

I don't want to believe that they can, because they are primarily 'support' and not Units.... correct??? :(

No.

Assuming there are no warlords present, command struggles are won by the player with the most command icons (on ready units) at a planet. The number of units at the planet doesn't matter at all for determining who wins the command struggle -- only the number of command icons. A non-warlord unit without command icons (and none of the token units have command icons) can never win a command struggle on its own, even if the opponent has no units at all on that planet.

Token units don't have any command icons. The only way to win the command struggle is to have more command icons, or the only Warlord present (which trumps icons). So no, a Token unit can't win the command struggle by itself.

I don't want to believe that they can, because they are primarily 'support' and not Units.... correct??? :(

Papa: they are units, just "token units" instead of "army units" or "warlord units." The reason they can't win command on their own is because they have no command icons, not because of the type of card they are. There are army units without command icons, too, and they also would not be able to win a command struggle -- even if the opponent had no units of his own at the planet.

Okay, I learned something new concerning the rules of the game. :)

These dastardly tokens, even if you can't utilize them for command struggles, but can be utilized for planetary support. (Note to self: Self, be careful with wording and descriptions when working through the online medium). :D

So they can still be pulled from planets to retreat and join a Warlord from HQ when deploying once again ?

So they can still be pulled from planets to retreat and join a Warlord from HQ when deploying once again ?

Yes, they're units so they follow all such rules.

The amount of depth in this game is amazing. Each day I come onto this site and other Conquest sites I learn something new. There have been only a few times in my life that I have eagerly awaited a new product.... This is one of those times. :)

Just to example how close to wording you need to look (something I'm finding out myself with this game), is the card Power from Pain.

Combat Action : Your opponent must sacrifice an army unit, if able.

If your opponent has a really awesome army unit and a token unit at a planet....they can't sacrifice the token unit as the card specifies Army Unit ,

Until I started reading these rules threads, I would've sacrificed (or allowed sacrificed) a token unit for this card. :P Now I read the cards much more closely and am seeing a lot more strategy open up.