Drawing Closer / Hawkbat Swoop ? One with the Universe ?

By JP_JP, in Game Mechanics

Ok I've got 2 questions in this one...

First question : Can you use either Drawing Closer or Hawkbat Swoop on an engaged opponent, using your Force pips only to add success/advantages, never used to gap the distance from the opponent, since it's engaged.

My take is that you could use it that way... but if you can, it because a no-brainer attack, always doing this skill every single round....

Second question : Does One with the Universe always give a Force pip whenever you roll Force dices ? The line between all the different rolls of Force Die is nebulous to me....

My example is the Force Power Enhance with the Brawl control upgrade : The way it is stated, you add Force dices equal to Force Rating to a brawl attack, but you would also benefit from the One with the Universe.... but it would not work with DC or HBS.

So to make sure I use it the way it is supposed to, what is the guideline to use One with the Universe ??

Thanks

For the first question, yes you can avoid spending force points to engage if you're already engaged - allowing you to spend all rolled force points on increasing successes for Draw Closer or advantages for Hawk Bat Swoop.

For the second question, it's my interpretation that the force point from One with the Universe would only apply towards any check involving an actual activation of a Force power - since the book generally distinguishes Force powers from talents/Force talents. So in your example, I would say that yes, you would get the force point from One with the Universe auto-applied towards using Enhance to to boost your Brawl skill, but it wouldn't apply to the activation of Hawk Bat Swoop or other Force Talents.

I'd say with Draw Closer you're right, and that you can just spend the Force Points on adding successes to the attack check, largely as it says the range is "medium range or closer" and the last sentence begins with "He may also spend..."

With Hawk-Bat Swoop, it cites the target has to be at short range in the full description. Since it gives a specific range band, I'd say that you can't use HBS if you're already engaged with the target. So you'd have to spend a Force Point to go from short range to engaged, and then can spend any additional Force Points to add Advantages to the check, given how the sentence about spending Force Points for the talent is worded.

On One With the Universe, it would be all Force Power checks made during that next encounter. Thus why it's a "once per session" ability. However, if you succeed with Threat, then that free Force Point is a dark side point, which may prove not as helpful (unless your Force user is already on the dark side). The summary in the Sage spec says you need success with Advantage to get the free Force Point to be a light side one, but that's been removed in the Beta Updates.

I'd say with Draw Closer you're right, and that you can just spend the Force Points on adding successes to the attack check, largely as it says the range is "medium range or closer" and the last sentence begins with "He may also spend..."

With Hawk-Bat Swoop, it cites the target has to be at short range in the full description. Since it gives a specific range band, I'd say that you can't use HBS if you're already engaged with the target. So you'd have to spend a Force Point to go from short range to engaged, and then can spend any additional Force Points to add Advantages to the check, given how the sentence about spending Force Points for the talent is worded.

Actually, Hawk Bat Swoop and Draw Closer use much of the same wording. Example from the full descriptions:

Draw Closer: "target withing medium range" "may spend [Force Point] ... to move the target"

Hawk Bat Swoop: "target within short range" "may spend [Force Point] ... to engage the target"