Lenoxus's homebrews, or, in which episodes did the Simpsons already do these?

By Lenoxus, in Cosmic Encounter - Fan Variants

Hello everyone! I'm Lenoxus & my CE background familiarity is with the original Eon & the AH, but not the FF version. I've read The Warp extensively enough to know about flares, lucre, moons, etc, but I've never played with them, so naturally my homebrews don't use them.

For these three homebrews, I've done my best to search The Warp for similar descriptions, but I'm afraid that I'm only human and even my +4 hasn't given me strength to defeat the forces of TLDR, either for that list or the admittedly-shorter dedicated homebrew thread here. I'm sure there are lots of brilliant ideas on both, both I can only absorb a few of them a day. Sorry!

TREE [M:FFGfo] Holds onto colonies tenaciously

You have the Power to Take Root. Whenever you are the main defensive player and you lose an encounter, if one of your colonies was at stake, you do not lose it to the warp; attacking colonies are established alongside yours. Alternatively, your main opponent may choose to send your targeted colony to the warp, but if s/he does so, all other ships involved in the encounter go to the warp as well.

History: The Tree's wood-based anatomy not only provides a solid defense against intruders, but can tolerate inhabitants who simply wish to use its boughs and knots as homesteads. The more mobile races can't help but laugh as the Tree slowdy thuds across the Universe, barely able to drive a starship or wield a weapon — that is, until they try to uproot it.

Note: I just looked up The Warp for a different power (the next one on this list, and you might guess why), and discovered that the above is similar to the Sting. While the Sting seems more powerful overall — it kills other people's ships, and can be used offensively — it has the added cost of having opponents gain cards.

DELUGE [O:FFGfo] Adds ships after card reveal

You have the Power to Inundate. After encounter cards have been revealed, you may add as many of your ships as you like to the total. After the encounter is resolved, all of these added ships must go to the warp.

History: An offshoot of the Amoeba, the watery Deluge learned how to restrain themselves until the time was right — but not without cost. Like an Earth honeybee stinging any tougher creature, Deluge droplets must be willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the swarm.

DEVELOPER [O:FFGfo] Wins any encounter at cost of colony

You have the Power to Rezone. After an encounter has been resolved in favor of one side, you may use this power to declare a win for the other. Immediately upon using this power, you must remove one of your external colonies and distribute it among your other colonies. If you have no external colonies, you must sacrifice a home colony likewise.

History: Employed as the Universe's urban planners, the Developers annex its districts into residential, commercial, and other areas, often to the dismay of a planet's inhabitants. As they struggle to make up their minds about which buildings look best next to which, they secretly hope to decorate the Cosmos with their own pet projects.

--

Any comments appreciated!

I like Deluge and Developer. Deluge seems like an interesting Amoeba-Reserve-Kamikaze mix. I don’t like Tree as much as the other two but it reminds me the Night Elves buildings from Warcraft.

Can Developer use his power as main player, ally and even when not involved in an encounter?

Thanks for responding, Jon! Yes, with the Developer, the ability to use the power even if not involved was something I had in mind — so things could get really crazy towards the endgame. Of course, it's hard to imagine what would be left for the Super flare, but there's gotta be something…

Unsurprisingly, The Warp returns three different powers called "Kamikaze" — are you thinking of FF's, Cedric Chin's, or Matt Stone's? (There really ought to be a good naming system to distinguish identically-named powers, like saying "Reda-Macron" or something.) Anyway, I'm partial to powers that take advantage of what can sometimes be very close rounds — for example, as an ally or main offender, the Macron only adds 3 points, but that can sometimes make all the difference. More interesting than what can happen with the Virus, for example (although that's countered by the ganging-up effect).

I was thinking of FF’s Kamikaze since Deluge sacrifices ships to obtain an advantage, in his case a +1 reinforcement per ship. Cedric Chin’s Kamikaze sacrifices his ships to take down his opponent’s ships.

Another question:
When Deluge decides to use his power does he have to decide how many ships he will add to the total and then he is done? Or can he use his power multiple times (limited by his available ships of course) in response, for example, to reinforcements played by the other side?

whoops, sorry i didn't answer that last q. Short answer, for anyone who's curious, is that there's no "official" way. Personally, I like the idea that Deluge can keep going and going, since it's only hurting itself in the process anyway.

Deluge seems very weak. Wild Kamikaze can do that for +3 per ship, before cards. Deluge can do it after cards, but it's a power, not a flare. I'd let it be +3 per ship.