Question about unopposed resolutions and 'remove participating character from current challenge' ability.

By Tyler Stark, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Ok so I'm wondering about cards like Silent Assassin and Osha and when they are allowed to be used, specifically regarding unopposed challenges. The Osha card's text reads "Challenges: Stand Osha to remove her from the current challenge." and the Silent Assassin card's text reads "Challenges: Kneel Silent Assassin to stand and remove 1 of your attacking characters from the current challenge. Then, Silent Assassin is considered to be participating in the challenge as an attacker. "

So I know that you can use Osha in conjunction with another card to boost your attack to get the player to up their defense and then remove her from the current challenge, but what if the challenge goes unopposed?

1. Can my opponent's attacking Osha still be stood up after I declare no defenders or does the challenge automatically resolve because it went unopposed?

Another different example is with the Silent Assassin card (Martell). I know that if my opponent attacks with a non-deadly character, when I use a non-deadly defender, they can then switch out their original attacker with Silent Assassin, allowing them to feint attacks or tack on deadly. Pretty cool. But what if it goes unopposed? Can they declare a military attack with an army card that has 7 attack, then when I let it go unopposed, they switch out the 7 attack card for the Silent Assassin's 1 attack, and then follow up with the same army card doing a 7 power attack?

2. If I declare no defenders can my opponent still switch out their original attacker with Silent Assassin?

3. I guess what I'm asking is if the characters are still 'attacking' or 'participating' in the 'current challenge' when someone declares no defenders. Or is the challenge considered over as soon as the player declares no defenders?

Thanks, and I hope my phrasing was clear enough that my questions aren't confusing.

1) Core set rules p. 11: A challenge may not be won by an attacker or defender whose total STR is less than 1, or who has no participating characters when the challenge is resolved. There is a player action window for your opponent to stand and remove Osha from the challenge after he (essentially) fails to bait you into kneeling defenders. It doesn't immediately skip to resolution. But, if he does remove Osha, he does not win the challenge.

2) Yes. For the same reason as he can still remove Osha, there is a Player Action window after Defenders are declared (or not) but before proceeding into the Resolution framework action.

3) I'm not sure what this is asking if it is something other than the core issue in play with 1 & 2. I think it would be of benefit for you to review the timing charts in the official FAQ, as they get much more granular in a way which will cover these kinds of edge cases:

{Player Actions}
Framework Action
1. Active Player declares challenge type and opponent
2. Active player kneels attacking characters
{Player Actions}
Framework Action
1. Active Player chooses Stealth targets
2. Defending player kneels defending characters
{Player Actions}
Framework Action
1. Determine winner of challenge
2. Challenge result is implemented
3. Reward for unopposed challenge is awarded
4. Renown is awarded
5. Resolve Deadly
Every Action step takes place, even if it's just to say "nothing here, next step."

To simplify Grim's (completely correct) detailed answer, you can think of the "anatomy of a challenge" in the following shorthand:

A. Attackers declared.

B. Player Actions.

C. Stealth announced/Defenders declared.

D. Player Actions

E. Resolve challenges (including unopposed, deadly, etc.)

- As soon as a character is declared as an attacker or defender (A or C), it is considered to be "participating" through the end of E.

- All of your questions essentially come down to, "If no defenders are declared in C, do we jump immediately to E?" The answer is, "No." The opportunity for Player Actions still takes place in D, giving you the opportunity to use effects like Osha and Silent Assassin before the challenge resolves E (which is when you figure out things like unopposed, deadly, etc.).

How does this work if you declare osha as a defender? Could you declare her as a defender and then remove her from the challenge?

How does this work if you declare osha as a defender? Could you declare her as a defender and then remove her from the challenge?

Sorry to bump such and old post, but it’s the closest I’ve found to a question I’ve found no answer yet.

Characters like OSHA that have the ability to stand up can do multiple challenges as attacker and defender, until it resolves a challenge. Because technically she wouldn’t have done any challenge if she stands ups before resolution.

Other is when playing as Targaryen, some cards , or A card, can stand up if a summer plot is in play, those that mean that character could do a military challenge, stand up after resolution and re-enter another challenge either as an attacker or a defender?

I know there are more cards that have this ability, but I’ve never got to know if they can make multiple challenges.

I believe that the 1st edition stated that a character could only participate in one challenge per phase, but what does that mean? Being an attacker is one phase and being a defender is a different phase? Or Challenges for all players count as one phase? This is something I haven’t found in any rules of the 2nd edition.

9 hours ago, Songohan said:

Sorry to bump such and old post, but it’s the closest I’ve found to a question I’ve found no answer yet.

Characters like OSHA that have the ability to stand up can do multiple challenges as attacker and defender, until it resolves a challenge. Because technically she wouldn’t have done any challenge if she stands ups before resolution.

Other is when playing as Targaryen, some cards , or A card, can stand up if a summer plot is in play, those that mean that character could do a military challenge, stand up after resolution and re-enter another challenge either as an attacker or a defender?

I know there are more cards that have this ability, but I’ve never got to know if they can make multiple challenges.

I believe that the 1st edition stated that a character could only participate in one challenge per phase, but what does that mean? Being an attacker is one phase and being a defender is a different phase? Or Challenges for all players count as one phase? This is something I haven’t found in any rules of the 2nd edition.

In Second Edition, a character can participate in as many challenges as they are able to.