Curved/Extended hilt and double-bladed lightsabers

By Alderaan Crumbs, in Game Mechanics

AFAIK there's nothing in the RAW stating these attachments can't be used with a double-bladed lightsaber (or combined themselves). However, should they be? How might they work? Thinking back to Darth Maul using his lightsaber with only one blade it seemed as if it already had an extended hilt. Opinions?

Extended hilt is definitely the one that makes me a little, "hmmm..." Mostly because Darth Nihl's extended hilt is about the same length as a single blade lit with a double.

EDIT: "hmmm...." from a purely narrative POV. Mechanics wise no beef.

Edited by Thebearisdriving

Curved Hilt: An example of Double Bladed Curved Hilt would be Asajj Ventress. Although hers were 'interlocking' allowing them to be connected/disconnected, they still make the best visual example.

Extended Hilt: While Darth Nihl seems to be the poster boy for it, I think originally when those comics came out it was considered a Lightsaber Pike. This one is the only example that I can see visually. Looking at modern weapons, the hilts/handles would typically be a little over double hand (2.5 hands roughly) in length. If Extended Hilt would be like a Nodachi, then it would essentially make a Single Basic Lightsaber Hilt the same size as a Double Bladed with only a single blade. If you take that thinking into account for a Double Bladed Lightsaber, you now have a Staff sized Hilt which can then emit two blades.

Curved and Extended Hilt: While there is nothing in Star Wars that I know of (anyone find an example?), there really isn't a known 'real world parallel' either. I could only think of a Sickle or Scythe for this. However, being Star Wars, some exotic/alien idea of a Klingon Bat'leth shape and sized Lightsaber Hilt is interesting. (And please don't stone me for making a Star Trek reference) :D

Seems a bit "off" for a double-bladed lightsaber to have an extended hilt. Perhaps the balance is that you have "Linked", allowing pretty hefty damage. For now I think I'll keep "Superior" as the only stackable hilt attachment and say no to extended hilt double-bladed lightsabers.

Of course, one could argue that a double-bladed lightsaber gains the base enhancements of the "Extended Hilt" attachment when using only one blade...hmmm...

it could explain why the double is 4 hp, and a normal is 5... that extended double hilt... :)

Nah, this is a double-bladed saber with an extended hilt...

10376716_800371063317000_336542846583406

(Photo from Saberforge)

Not knowing the scale, but I'd say that hilt is 3-5' in length. Or otherwise double the size of an ordinary Double Bladed Saber.

Now if only that was curved somehow......

"Stacking Lightsaber mods: You too want to make your weapon more dangerous to it's user than the enemy!"

"Stacking Lightsaber mods: You too want to make your weapon more dangerous to it's user than the enemy!"

That meme you reference, die it must.

I think a detachable option, ala Ventris would work fine for curved hilts on a double bladed lightsaber....while attached you get linked 1, detach them for two sabers with the curved hilt attachment benefits, have the whole thing take up 3 HP slots and call it done.

Extended....well that just becomes a double bladed lightpike doesn't it? Raise the cumbersome to 4 and add unwieldly 3 and we're in business. ;)

I didn't even realise I was referencing a meme...

I didn't even realise I was referencing a meme...

It's the whole "chop an extremity off with your lightsaber" thing that's made the rounds for years. It was supposed to be tongue in cheek though, not a condemnation.

I think that Maul's double-bladed lightsaber has the extended hilt mod. Other double-bladed lightsabers have had much shorter hilts.