Shouldn't Sense be a prerequisite?

By whafrog, in Game Mechanics

I think taking the basic Sense power should be a prerequisite for using the Reflect talent. An argument could be made for having the option of Foresee as well.

Agree? Disagree?

Are there any other Talents that should have Force power prerequisites?

I think being Force-sensitive alone allows you limited, probably subconscious feats of clairvoyance or whatever you'd like to call it. Sense is more the conscious, reliable upgrade. So no, in my opinion, these are different avenues of training.

You will eventually learn to control your talent to sense people and see into the future - by buying into the Force powers.

I actually like that much can be described by raw talent rather than a regiment of training, considering the era the writers expect most campaigns to be run in.

I think being Force-sensitive alone allows you limited, probably subconscious feats of clairvoyance or whatever you'd like to call it. Sense is more the conscious, reliable upgrade. So no, in my opinion, these are different avenues of training.

You will eventually learn to control your talent to sense people and see into the future - by buying into the Force powers.

I actually like that much can be described by raw talent rather than a regiment of training, considering the era the writers expect most campaigns to be run in.

I agree. Playing a force sensitive character is already very expensive. and Sense does help a lot with reflecting shots.

Remember Luke was able to do it in episode 4 with very little training.

I would also say that having talents with force power requisites creates a situation where talent trees become complicated. As of now, talent trees are simple, requiring nothing more than a single page to get the gist (though some talents are more complicated and require further explanation).

Adding powers as a requisite makes for more flipping back and forth between pages. A small imposition I know, but certainly not in the KISS mentality that has been the tag line of these systems.

I think taking the basic Sense power should be a prerequisite for using the Reflect talent.

Are there any other Talents that should have Force power prerequisites?

Going to disagree on this one.

The designers have been very specific at drawing the line between what a Force power is and does with how a Force talent fits into the scheme of things.

A talent does something specific. Usually a limited form of what a power does. And, beyond some being ranked, they only do that one thing.

Powers have many, and some varied, applications.

Personally, I like the separation, for it allows interesting combinations to come about without having to invest heavily in powers and talents.

I agree. Playing a force sensitive character is already very expensive. and Sense does help a lot with reflecting shots.

Remember Luke was able to do it in episode 4 with very little training.

Critical points, thanks.

Just think of the Force talents as functioning similarly to Overwhelm Emotions in FSExile--they're a more limited version of a broader Force power, offering an alternate way of acquiring similar abilities in-spec.

I'd think of the Reflect talent as coming bundled with a degree of the clairvoyance that Sense presents, but only in the limited scope of dealing with ranged attacks.

Agree with the general sentiment that Sense shouldn't be a required power for characters to take if they want to use Reflect. Plus, there may well be character concepts for which the Sense power wouldn't be applicable for whatever reason.

yeti1069 has a good point about how Reflect is effectively a very limited version of the "enhanced awareness" that Sense can provide while also being very narrowly focused.

Now the same could be said of the Foresee power (both the argument for requiring a Force power in order to use Reflect and why said power shouldn't be required in the first place), which might be more fitting since the whole point of that power is to glimpse into the future, with the EU fluff on blaster deflection noting that a lot of it relies on the Jedi's ability to "see things before they happen" and thus be able to position their lightsaber in between themselves and the incoming shot.

I'm not keen on having Force powers be barriers to use of Force talents. Force talents in the character trees clearly represent limited force training that the character has that create the flavor of the Force character they are. You could do very well just playing with strait talents across 2 specializations instead of spending XP on Force power trees.

I see the Force power trees as ways to further refine applications of the force outside of the class's respective strengths...I favor player access to Force powers being limited by Holocron/Mentor access but never a prerequisite to using their specialization talents except where they specifically call for using a particular Force power.

I see how this might narratively make sense, but I don't think it's a good idea due to the mechanics. Force users already have so much to spend experience on, I don't want to gateway such a iconic ability behind another power/exp sink.