Opening Doors

By corkysru, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

So it seems that this is using the same (imo BAD) system of opening a door being an action all of itself? That was one thing that I really didn't like about Descent 2.0.

It seems from the most recent article that this is the way it is...can anyone confirm this?

what is your suggested alternative?

Go back to the way they did it in Descent 1.0. It takes XX(probably 2) movement points. This always made much more sense to me thematically(it takes movement to open a door) and mechanically(it allowed you to move, attack and open/close a door on the same turn).

In the GenCon demo, they had to spend an action to bust the door or slice into it. In that case, I think it was a locked door, which is different than what was previewed, I think. For locked doors, taking an action makes sense. In the name of simplicity, I can see why opening an unlocked door would still take one action.

Doors are meant to be there to slow the tempo of progression. A movement point cost would not be enough to do this. It also makes opening a door more of a decision, as you have to balance it against your other action options.

Doors are meant to be there to slow the tempo of progression. A movement point cost would not be enough to do this. It also makes opening a door more of a decision, as you have to balance it against your other action options.

Obviously you never played Descent 1st edition. Doors slowed tempos enough. I have played enough games where those two movements points caused serious decisions to be made.

Obviously you never played Descent 1st edition. Doors slowed tempos enough. I have played enough games where those two movements points caused serious decisions to be made.

I have played both versions of Descent since they were introduced. And we have played countless hours of both.

Corkysru ... I agree with your point concerning D1e and the need to spend 2 movement points to open the door. It definitely was a significant enough of an investment in D1e.

One of the reasons I feel this is true, however, is because of the size of the dungeons within D1e, the spawning rules, etc.

I think have to use an action in D2e is justified, due to the smaller dungeons, the way spawning works, etc.

I have played both versions of Descent since they were introduced. And we have played countless hours of both.

Corkysru ... I agree with your point concerning D1e and the need to spend 2 movement points to open the door. It definitely was a significant enough of an investment in D1e.

One of the reasons I feel this is true, however, is because of the size of the dungeons within D1e, the spawning rules, etc.

I think have to use an action in D2e is justified, due to the smaller dungeons, the way spawning works, etc.

I guess I will just have to demo this game before buying. I don't know why this rule change bugs me so much. In regards to Descent 2nd edition it was just one of MANY issues I had with the game. Which was a shame really.. because there were a few things I really liked(I grew up with heroquest so the inability to roll defense die always made me sad in first edition). Hopefully my fanboy side will overcome any problems I have Imperial Assault. :)

There is the option of house-ruling it, depending on your playgroup.

There is the option of house ruling using rubber bands instead of dice to determine damage as well. It doesn't mean it won't seriously mess with game balance.

There is the option of house ruling using rubber bands instead of dice to determine damage as well. It doesn't mean it won't seriously mess with game balance.

True. But in this case, we're not talking something drastically different. We're talking about a specific rule that you don't like for which you have a well-thought-out alternative derived from a previous game system. If it bothers you so much to use an action to open a door, and you'd rather spend two movement points to open the door, I can't see how that would stop you from purchasing the game. When you buy it, you can try out your variant. If it works, great. If not, tweak it. It seems you've already played Descent and Descent 2E, so I'd imagine you're familiar enough with the system to know what you like or don't like and what works and what doesn't.

True. But in this case, we're not talking something drastically different. We're talking about a specific rule that you don't like for which you have a well-thought-out alternative derived from a previous game system. If it bothers you so much to use an action to open a door, and you'd rather spend two movement points to open the door, I can't see how that would stop you from purchasing the game. When you buy it, you can try out your variant. If it works, great. If not, tweak it. It seems you've already played Descent and Descent 2E, so I'd imagine you're familiar enough with the system to know what you like or don't like and what works and what doesn't.

Very true. After all we have been using our own Line of Site rules and haven't noticed a problem. In fact it probably makes things harder for the heroes in Descent.

I imagine that house rule will probably get passed on from our campaigns so this might have to get worked in as well. We will to see.

I apologize about the drastic comparison. Although using rubber bands does seem fun now that I think about it. Or use the old Crossbows & catapults or Weapons & Warriors cannons. :)

I apologize about the drastic comparison. Although using rubber bands does seem fun now that I think about it. Or use the old Crossbows & catapults or Weapons & Warriors cannons. :)

It's all good.

The problem with rubber bands, though, is that it doesn't take differential attack power into consideration. After all, the cards clearly indicate how many dice and which dice to use for attacks. I suppose that means you turn the rubber band into a sling shot and launch the indicated dice at your target(s).

:P

You could use rubber band guns though. And match the various guns and rubber band sizes to the weapons in question. Around here you can get pistols, machine guns, tommy guns, etc all with different calibers of rubber bands and 'clip' sizes.

Not sure how much IA would get played if my group started using that system, but I see the potential.

I, also would like to see an equipment card (think Det Pack) that can make a door opened permanently

I, also would like to see an equipment card (think Det Pack) that can make a door opened permanently

Based on the most recent preview, it seems like doors are always opened permanently except in specific situations: "No figure can close a door voluntarily, although some game effects may force a door to close."