So, what are the advantages of the move to these new boards ?

By chicklewis, in CoC General Discussion

I haven't been able to identify any advantages over our old boards, and the new 'points for posts' system is excruciatingly stooopid. I must assume that something has been made much more convenient for FFG or for those who maintain the boards. But I will bet others here have fidentified advantages which I have not realized.

Please confirm or deny.

Chick

chicklewis said:

I haven't been able to identify any advantages over our old boards, and the new 'points for posts' system is excruciatingly stooopid. I must assume that something has been made much more convenient for FFG or for those who maintain the boards. But I will bet others here have fidentified advantages which I have not realized.

Please confirm or deny.

Chick

I have yet to see any advantages. I dislike the point system (just posted asking if there was a point to it), I get booted out of the forum after posting a reply (I assume they'll fix that in time), no custom avatars, and a dreary gray color. Also, when you navigate, you can see the status at the bottom come up in Spanish. Also, no PM system.

It seems slow and clunky, but maybe it will seem simpler once I've used it for a while.

I did like the Updated product list with the next 6 Asylum Packs listed and with box artwork on the page.

So, it could be just the newness of it, but I don't care much for it so far.

PS: Library of Games: is that just games you own, or can it be games you enjoy playing? My friends and I own a lot of FFG boardgames, but once one guy owns it, no one else needs to buy it. So, I actually enjoy more than the 4 games I listed, but don't own them. I ask because one of the ways to track down friends is by games in common.

I am glad to still be a part of this awesome cthulhu card game community. You guys totally rock.

Besides that, I've got nothing good to say about the new boards.

Ooh, wait! I thought of one positive thing. The flash trailers on the main pages of Arkham Horror and Call of Cthulhu LCG are pretty cool!

Reposted from my AGOT thread titled "A New Paradigm?" :

Ok, so it's only tangentially related to AGoT itself, but I find it an interesting move for FFG as a company. I miss many things about the most previous AGoT site and forum, don't get me wrong. But what they've created now (once the bugs have been worked out) is something new. Sure, WotC has been trying with Gleemax, but it's not nearly slick and easy enough for me yet. FFG's community site is now a pretty sweet social networking site for gamers. It's easy to find the discussion areas you want to participate in, and with a glance see the other games that the players you are conversing with are interested in. Then you can easily track down information on that game. Or you can track down more players for the games you play by browsing those who have the game in their collection. The networking possiblities of the new setup are pretty great I think. The only real downside is that I rather wish it wasn't company specific. Don't get me wrong, FFG has some great games and I certainly understand that as a company they wouldn't want to advertise competitors products, but danged if I don't wish players had a site this sweet to find players of games of sorts.

Me, I would like :

+ to be able to edit my posts.

+ to be able to customize my avatar with my own image.

+ to have a " Recent topics " button.

+ not to have to scroll left and right to read the messages (the boards are too wide, they don't fit my 600x800 screen).

Sure colors are very bad. It's good for anticipations with big androïds but not a good choice for investigations in 1920's.

Another big problem is quotes and signatures are very difficult to read (a gray text on a gray background, it's a crazy choice for design !!)

I understand the choice to make all FFG forums with the same design but it should be more readable.

Ah yes, a preview button before to send post, it could be great ! (hops I have found the preview button on the top left of the box message)

Points + 1 gran_risa.gif

Hops I have found the preview button on the top left of the boxe message.

I can edit my message but after it's not save on the server !

Custom avatars and images in signatures would be it for me. And quicker loading times too.

What can I say? I play CCG's and LCG's because I like customizing my experience. Pre-set avatars is not much customizing, alas.

I chatted with one of the FFG Line-Cords, and found out the following:

• Edit option is on the list of things to be looked at, and possibly fixed by year end.
  • They are re-looking at the lack of PM's.
  • They are working to add more avatars as time goes by.

The new site is far from done, and will be a bit of a work in progress.

One thing that I really like that it does is ties in the front end of the site with the rest of it.
So frequently I found people were so stuck in the forums they didn't get to see new posted on the front of the site.