Wind of Chaos power vs Rhino

By Korrh, in Black Crusade

Hi guys, what do you think of the following situation:

a Rhino full of IG is attacked by heretics. Psyker uses Wind of Chaos (p.214 Core) psychic power on it and pretty much the whole body of it is covered by power's effect. He pushes hard and, by description, to evade the power (opposing Ag test) one has to get over 6 Degrees of Success.

Now the question is: as this power is a Warp Weapon, can it go through Rhino's Armor and SI (ignoring both as per description of Warp Weapon on page 144 of Core) and just fry all the people in it, that failed to dodge? Basically, leaving the APC intact?

I think it's a very likely scenario as I understand, Warp Weapon can only be stopped by warp-involved means (force field, sacred armor) or by human body that has a soul. Am I right?

What would you do if you're a GM and your player does that?

Edit: Now that you know the context, let me ask you more questions.

How do you think IG would react to the knowledge that there's a spyker with this power? What tactics they might use to handle the situation? How fast would they react/adapt to the situation?

Thanks!

Edited by Korrh

I think it might possibly damage the rhino, but yeah it should go trough thanks to WoC having warp weapon quality.

I might allow the Rhino driver to make some sort of Operate (surface) test -instead of Ag- to avoid the wind of chaos. (this would replace the ag saves since there is nowhere to dodge to inside the cramped passanger compartment of a rhino.

I don't think your average Guardsman knows much about psy powers, unless they were briefed by their commanders about traitors with such a power operating nearby. In that case, or if they got hit with the WoC and survive, they would 1) shoot at the psyker with the rhino's storm bolter, 2) tank shock/run him over and 3) disembark, spread out and open fire.

Edited by Robin Graves
From a rules point of view, the question boils down to whether a warp based attack to a vehicle with occupants ignores the vehicles armor and structural integrity and affects the occupants directly.

If this is true, then we have the situation in the game where a single psyker can cast wind of chaos and take out any manned vehicle (I'm assuming regular IG crew) with a single die roll. If he's within range of the crew this can be any tank, titan or spacecraft.

On top of that this would leave him with an undamaged vehicle as spoils if we are assuming no damage to the structural integrity. Even if this is not the case, we can easily assume that an imperial guard can take much less damage than a tank or titan, so the humans within will die long before the vehicle is damaged significantly.

I don't know if this matches the fluff or not but as it relates to the rpg game, to me this does not sound balanced.

Although I don't see this anywhere in the rules, if we can imagine there are defenses such as blessings or upgraded machine spirts or whatever that can be applied as counter measures, then why wouldn't every single vehicle and suit of armor not have those defenses "pre installed". Not doing so and leaving yourself critically vulnerable to a single psyker sounds unfathomable to say the least.

Warp weapons can be stopped by things that don't have a soul. It's just that they're amazing at chopping up things in general. It's meant to model the 'power weapon' trait that a lot of demon weapons had in the tabletop.

Long story short, it should just deal damage to the rhino like normal. If you ripped open a hatch and then shot it in the hole, then yeah, I'd agree with you that everyone inside should be kerfucked.

Warded armor blocks the warp weapon quality. It could go either way as to whether or not all tanks are warded at the factory with all those blessings they throw on it.

As for titans, their void shields hands down would block it.

Thank you for your answers. I think we'll treat it like a power weapon, that ignores armor instead of having high Penetration.

And I guess we'll use Dark heresy 2ed vehicle rules for driving Rhino and setting other tanks on fire.

That seems like an overcomplicating an issue. First - Rhino is an enclosed vehicle, so any crew inside cannot be targeted by anything, unless with a good reason. Second - Winds of Chaos have a Warp Weapon quality, yes, and this simply means, that It will ignore the unwarded Rhino's armour and deal damage directly to hull integrity. Warded armor will ignore Warp Weapon quality.

That seems like an overcomplicating an issue. First - Rhino is an enclosed vehicle, so any crew inside cannot be targeted by anything, unless with a good reason. Second - Winds of Chaos have a Warp Weapon quality, yes, and this simply means, that It will ignore the unwarded Rhino's armour and deal damage directly to hull integrity. Warded armor will ignore Warp Weapon quality.

WoC is an warp weapon spray attack, you don't need to target anyone for it to hit you. Just be within the area of effect.

It ignores cover (which the rhino is), thus all the people will surely die or at least take a bunch of damage.

The rhino will take SI damage, ignoring AP.

This isn't rocket science, people.

Edited by BrotharTearer