Beta Update 4

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in General Discussion

The forms may be making it into canon as well.

There is a new clip from Rebels where the Inquisitor says to Kanan "I see you rely on Form 3" or similar. Be interesting if the terms like Ataru, Soresu ever get mentioned, either on screen or in a book.

Nice! Can you copy the link please MrDodger?

Victory evileeyore? What do you mean by that?

Nice! Can you copy the link please MrDodger?

In fact I can, just had to remember where I saw it! (The perennial problem when you check 10 SW sites a day) :)

Edit: He also mentions Kanan's former Master, which was revealed in the novel "A New Dawn", so be careful if you are spoiler-sensitive ;)

Here it is.

Edited by MrDodger

Victory evileeyore? What do you mean by that?

Suffice to say: I'm pleased with the this update.

Interestingly, it appears that Obi-Wan did utilize Shien in his combat with Jango Fett (by redirecting blaster bolts).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shien

Apparently it's canon (thanks to "Star Wars in 100 Scenes," a book which I would like for Christmas), and the previous lore about Obi-Wan's relationship (or lack thereof) with Shien is only Legends.

Well it kinda makes sense since, according to Legends, Shien is a derivative from Soresu. And blaster bolts were the main danger the jedi faced in the galaxy, so it makes sesne that even a defensive minded jedi like Obi-Wan would study a technique that allows you to send the bolt back to the shooter.

Personally I would replace the improved reflect talent in soresu defender with supreme reflect to represent the style's "turtle defense." The reason Shien was created was to add offensive capability to Soresu. Hence the improved reflect in shien. However I would drop supreme reflect from Shien in order to force the more in-your-face offensive nature of shien.

Instead add defensive slash into the soresu defender talent tree.

Defensive Slash:

Once per round after utilizing reflect, character may make an immediate lightsaber (intellect) check against any target with whom the character is currently engaged.

Personally I would replace the improved reflect talent in soresu defender with supreme reflect to represent the style's "turtle defense." The reason Shien was created was to add offensive capability to Soresu. Hence the improved reflect in shien. However I would drop supreme reflect from Shien in order to force the more in-your-face offensive nature of shien.

Defensive Slash:

Once per round after utilizing reflect, character may make an immediate lightsaber (intellect) check against any target with whom the character is currently engaged.

I agree with the first paragraph! But as to the suggested new talent, Soresu already has Improved Parry. Instead of stepping on its toes, you could create a talent that synergizes with it by way of adding automatic Threat to incoming melee combat checks when wielding a lightsaber.

However, improved parry is in response to a melee attack only. Defensive slash is an iconic technique of soresu where they turn the momentum of a deflected blaster shot into a lightsaber strike.

It's not stepping on the toes of improved parry, but complimenting it. You NEVER want to get close to a Soresu master, especially when he/she is under attack from both melee and ranged attackers. The "Eye of the Storm."

Edited by GalenParatus

Defensive Slash:

I like the flavor behind this - and agree that it isn't stepping on Improved Parry's toes too much. But I think there should be some cost (strain/Destiny/opponent's Thread and/or Despair) to this, since it's an out of turn incidental melee attack.

However, improved parry is in response to a melee attack only. Defensive slash is an iconic technique of soresu where they turn the momentum of a deflected blaster shot into a lightsaber strike.

It's not stepping on the toes of improved parry, but complimenting it. You NEVER want to get close to a Soresu master, especially when he/she is under attack from both melee and ranged attackers. The "Eye of the Storm."

Interesting.

Do we have any other examples of skill checks being performed as out of turn incidentals? How do they work?

I liked Unrelenting Sceptic (or Skeptic if you are US) :)

I think gave the Shadow an edge amongst scum. Bring it back please!

So now the only access to items in column 1 to talents in rows 3 thru 5 is first through the talent on row 5, column 2 of the Protector talent tree? You have to work your way backwards to Reflect? Did I misunderstand the link updates made?

So now the only access to items in column 1 to talents in rows 3 thru 5 is first through the talent on row 5, column 2 of the Protector talent tree? You have to work your way backwards to Reflect? Did I misunderstand the link updates made?

You're correct. As of the BU#3, you've got to first work your way up to Force Rating before you can access the rest of Column 1.

You're correct. As of the BU#3, you've got to first work your way up to Force Rating before you can access the rest of Column 1.

Wow. Talk about taking the slow boat to China!