Celestial Wizard

By Chaos101, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to this game, but so far I am enjoying it.

I have a query about the Empire unit card Celestial Wizard. It's card text reads " Action: When you play a development from your hand, put a resource token on this unit. Then, you may remove 2 resource tokens from this unit to deal 1 damage to each unit in any corresponding zone. "

My wife and I had a situation last night where I was attacking her battlefield. She decided to defend and take a player action. She invoked the Celestial Wizard's action (it had 2 resource tokens to spend) to deal 1 point of damage to each of my units.

My questions are this....

1. After the second development is played in the Capital phase, do you remove the resource tokens as soon as the second one is added and deal the damage then? Or do you choose when you can remove the resource to apply the damage (eg. as per last night when defending a zone in the combat phase)?

2. If it is the latter and you can choose when to take the action, I am assuming that the damage is applied first before the other damage from attacks and defenders are worked out? If so, would this destroy a unit before it can attack, or as per the rules, the damage is assigned and worked out after all damage is applied?

I hope the above is clear.

Many thanks in advance for your help with this one.

Hi,

the proper answer lies somewhere in the middle: the action of the Celestial Wizard is triggered by playing a development, and it consists of getting a resource token and having the option to spend 2 resource tokens. You can't take the action or parts of it without the triggering effect. That means that a) you can only deal the damage directly after playing a development and b) you don't have to do it, but can instead save up on resource tokens. Using it is a surprise effect is only possible (as far as I know) if you use Dance to Loec when the attackers are announced.

Regarding your point 2, you're right: if you manage to destroy attackers or defenders before the Assign Combat Damage step of the Battlefield phase, they won't be able to attack or defend.

Hi Maik,

Thanks for your response. It seems like we played it wrong then..... And it cost me the game!

Oh well.... live and learn!

Thanks again.