Morality and Conflict

By Amanal, in Game Mechanics

I am not overly happy with the mechanic as it stands. I have been in a couple of threads and then thinking about it all came up with some alternatives. Feel free to criticise harshly as needed.

Method 1: The Force Dice:

Whenever a player earns conflict for each point of conflict he rolls a force dice. If the action earning the conflict was positive then for each light side pip he increases his Morality by 1. If the action is negative then for each dark side pip the player lose a point of Morality.

During the session the GM should keep a total of all the morality changes (light and dark pips rolled) and at the end of the session if the net change was positive all players roll two dice adding any light pips, if the net change was negative then roll two force dice and reduce their Morality by the dark force pips showing. In this way there is a group dynamic at play that will cause tension if one part of the group is morally opposed to the rest.

Method 2: The 10 Sided Dice:

The GM tracks each players accumulation of both positive and negative conflict and has this has a running total. When this total exceeds 10 the net value is determined by adding and subtracting each value. The player then takes this total and deducts the value of a roll of a d10.

If he gains morality then each other player gains 2 conflict. If he loses morality then each player loses 2 conflict. If this exchange pushes another player above the 10 threshold then they will roll as above.

(I may not have explained it well)

Example:

I have +4 and +5 Conflict I then earn -3, I now have 4+5+3 or a total net of 12 conflict. I then add it all up for +6 and roll a d10 and deduct 6. I roll a 3 and add 3 morality. The other players all gain +2 conflict. Then Dave ends up with -4, -5 and +2, this is a net of 11 and he rolls he has a -9 and rolls an 8, this -9-8 he loses 17 Morality, now all players gain a -2 Conflict from this, including myself.

(Yeah that'll clear it up)

Method 3:

As above but if a players change is positive he adds that and for the random element the white pips on 2 force dice. If a players change is negative then add the black pips on the roll of 2 force dice.