BATTLELORE : a family game?

By silenceindigo, in Battlelore

Unlike most FFG games, BATTLELORE can be found at Toys R Us and big outlet stores; should this be understood that it's more appropriate a game for younger ones? What's the comparative appeal of BATTLELORE for kids vs adults, from a father's view?

I am not sure how much my perspective will help you, my daughter is 18 and wouldnt be interested, instead I will offer something based on my wifes profession, she is a teacher, working in a school that caters for the first 4 years of a childs education. If she here she would tell you that all of the kids are different and will repond differently to whatever you set in front them. It is likely to depend on the interest level of the child concerned for the various aspects of the game. The fact that its a relatively uncomplicated (by wargames standards at least) should lend itself to a wider appeal than many other games. The cards certainly are going to be appealing, as anyone who has watched kids opening boosters for card games like Pokemon etc will testify. I also suspect the fact that there are a smallish number of unit types will also help when being played by younger children. It certainly could be a family game, but it really does depend on the family.

One final thought, and this one i suspect will be shared by lots of us.

If this game had been shown to me anytime after I was maybe 8 or 10, I would have loved it and pestered my dad to play this instead of the games I had back then. Risk wouldnt have got a look in, once I worked out there were Wizards in BL

Well, my kids are 3 and 4, I'm planning for the future... Already using World of Warcraft's dice and miniatures to help them learn to count... happy.gif I'll consider Battlelore before Twilight Imperium anyway (not till they're 6 at least). gui%C3%B1o.gif

My two boys, 9 and 7, love Battlelore and we try and play as much as possible. We're taking it slow and having a blast. I'd say that Battlelore makes a great family game.

Maus

(Sigh) My boys are two years old and two months old... Guess I'll have to wait a bit more before I can enjoy playing battlelore with them preocupado.gif

LOL - yes, my boys (5, 4, and 2 yrs.) are very curious about those little knights and dwarves in the plastic. I've decided that when they understand the difference between "gamepiece" and "action figure" ("No, son, you don't crash these together..."), they'll be ready.

So, were the BL games at Toys 'R Us in FFG packaging or DOW packaging? DOW games do tend to be more family oriented (IMO), and I wonder if that's how it found its way into more mainstream retailers.

Younger kids can play easly without lore. With lore I'm not sure how it would work. It's good trainging ground for future warhammer players.

Whilst I cannot attest to the ease with which this game may be taken up by children (although, considering what I was playing around 9-10 I'd say BL is easily doable), I, along with many others here I think, would agree that this game does seem to appeal to that other section of the family - wives and girlfriends

happy.gif

Unfortunantly almost none of my famliy likes it.

as long as your kids do not eat the minis you should do fine...

moekel said:

as long as your kids do not eat the minis you should do fine...

Forget Scot's Porridge, I eat dwarves for breakfast!

Ar you seruiys. Poor kids. I guess there pretty durable though. The kids that is.

I've run several demos at stores and conventions. The game seems to be a big hit with the young guys from app. age 8 and up. I suppose some parents might object to the "violence" inherent in the game, but I haven't found that to be the case.

Violence? What violence? Oh! That voilence.

silenceindigo said:

Well, my kids are 3 and 4, I'm planning for the future... Already using World of Warcraft's dice and miniatures to help them learn to count... happy.gif I'll consider Battlelore before Twilight Imperium anyway (not till they're 6 at least). gui%C3%B1o.gif

but in my opinion i wouldn't like to play wargames with my kid . I'am loving them but i think there are better boardgames for kids

Wargames can be good for kids. Get them on something like warhammer and you can teach them endurance, perseverance, and good thinking(while keeping them ocupied for long pieriods of time happy.gif ). They learn to persever as you teach them how to paint and they paint mini after mini. Then if they like the game you make them work to earn money to buy more guys(meaning if you have a garden you can now have a weed free garden). Then they work hard to earn there minis they strive to paint them and they learn to think though things and plan ahead as they march there armies against the enemy( which might end up being you) Of course young children such as younger than say twelve probably couldn't learn it but for the older kids they can learn a lot from a war game.

Wargames are also social, and promote interpersonal skills, in addition to the other stuff that Horror outlined. With kids spending so much time sat waqtching TV and in front of computers these days it could be quite a positive to have that interaction. There is also one more benefit that shouldnt be overlooked, if your kids are spending time gaming with you (no matter what the game) its time they get to spend with you, thats not going hurt (well assuming you dont grind thier butts into the floor game after game). Sharing a parents hobby could be a huge positive for them. I am even fairly sure most of them wont turn into Ghengis Khan gui%C3%B1o.gif

Indygnome said:

There is also one more benefit that shouldnt be overlooked, if your kids are spending time gaming with you (no matter what the game) its time they get to spend with you, thats not going hurt (well assuming you dont grind thier butts into the floor game after game).

All to true. Play easy and let them stay in the lead the whole game. If you really must win then you can take it in the very end. Some day you may find that you can't play so easy, and when you wait to the end, you migh not take the win.