Integrating Skaven

By Katsuyori, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I am just thinking hard how to use Skaven in my next battle (never did this before). I want to field them alongside Greenskins in a 2-Regiment battle.

Now I just realized how fragile the existing Skaven units are. The Gutter Runners seem to be very vulnerable, since the will not even survive most counter attacks while pinning. The Ratling Guns are tougher, but they are obviousley not really made for close combat.

When using Skaven with 2 ratling Guns and 2 units of Gutter Runners (32 points, +1 initiative), my little Waaagh!!! will already cover ranged combat and the possibilities to cover good distance to occupy terrain I want, but I clearly lack of tough units who excel in melee. So I thought about using this Mob:

Azagh (since he is really strong when pinning and able to take some serious damage before going down)

Troll (strong, tough unit with good damage output)

Boar Boyz (also tough, with impact)

Orc Boyz

Night Goblins (just fitting with the point costs)

I am not quite sure if this is a good combination. My army, everything and all, consists just of 10 discs, and seems to heavily depend on my "tough units" mentioned above to survive. My average ability to sustain attacks also seems to by relatively low. So, if someone has some experience using Skaven or has some outstanding idea combining them with Orcs I will humbly beg for advice from Generals wiser than me.

Edited by Katsuyori

The battle was fought and soundly lost (with Ikit the lone survivor on my side in round 5). Reason were my numberless stupid, stupid mistakes, like forgetting special abilites and traits or pinning the wrong disks at crucial moments. Foolish Katsuyori! No blame to the Skavens, though.

On the other hand, I made some good experiences. The Gutter Runners proved to be very fast, and the mobile trait came in handy in some situatios. The Ratling Guns were able to hit (but not defeat) a lot of disks crowded together, but sadly I was not skilled or foreseeing enough to finish them off. I will combine them with more impact units next time or make use of Fists of Gork (or Mork?).

I am quite satisfied with Skavens (smelling great possibilites here), and look forward to see more of them soon to field them in a stand alone force. Alas, still much to learn for me...

Edited by Katsuyori

Kudos on the effort! Sadly I have no advice on using Skaven, they seem massively incomplete at this stage. Ikit's ability is useful, but keeps him activating from afar, rarely giving you a chance to use Vermintide.

I like that you are trying to use them as a ranged support for your orcs, but I feel even in that department a second orc regiment would've done better. Arrer boyz with a Warboss put out quite a lot of shots at long range, and are tough and cheap.

If you mean to continue experimenting in that direction (and I think you should), try forming the Orc regiment specifically around the concept of protecting the Skaven and drawing fire away. Take 2 Boar boyz with Waaagh and a Warboss so your opponent absolutely cannot afford to pay attention to anything else, and maybe Eager Troops so you can be more mobile with Azhag. Another distraction trick is to take Fists of Mork with Azhag as your only caster- this will prompt most players to unload everything they have into him.

Are you keeping an eye on the BGG message boards? Lots of good Orc strats there, I am sure some might help in a mixed Orc/Skaven army.

Thanks for your advice, Johnny. I appreciate your help.

I will continue experimenting, and I will heed your words. Your proposals sound very reasonable.

I am also going to visit the BGG Board. Still much to learn.

Edited by Katsuyori

On the other hand, I made some good experiences. The Gutter Runners proved to be very fast, and the mobile trait came in handy in some situatios. The Ratling Guns were able to hit (but not defeat) a lot of disks crowded together, but sadly I was not skilled or foreseeing enough to finish them off. I will combine them with more impact units next time or make use of Fists of Gork (or Mork?).

Warning, Gutter Runners don't have Mobile, the Ratling Guns do.

My attempt ith the Skaven has been an offensive Chaos/Skaven army. I tried it only once though, so I need some more field experience to confirm its effectiveness.

The army was:

Archaon the Everchosen (33)

Bloodcrushers (10)

Hellstriders (8)

Plaguebearers (8)

Daemonettes (6)

32/33 Points

Ikit Claw (33)

Ratling Gun (9) x2

Gutter Runners (7) x2

32/33 Points

Intiative Modifier: +2

Command Cards

Blood for the Blood God (3) - Bold

Acquiescence (2) - Steady

Arcane Attack (2) - Steady

Lure (3) - Devious

The idea here is to use the Skaven disks to soften enemies from range and then charge with Archaon, the Bloodcrushers and Hellstriders to finish off weakened enemies with Impact. The ideal situation would be managing to damage multiple disks with the Ratling Gun and then hitting 1-2 of them with Archaon for a multi-kill.

Plaguebearers offer some additional support and the daemonettes are perfect to snipe enemies you damaged with ranged attacks and magic.

Arcane Attack and B lood for The Blood God are here for extra damage, while Acquiescence helps to soften tough enemies with resistance to damage or to prevent nasty abilities from activating.

The offset, as with many destruction army, is that if you get attacked on multiple fronts you risk getting overrun. The army can withstand some enemy charges, but only if your ranged/magic attackers and cavalry can then counterattack and free your disks from pinning before the Melee Phase. If you can't do it, you are pretty much done.

I am going to try the Sniper TrollĀ“s approach next time using Skaven, using Grom and the Boar Boys. I will also include Azagh and maybe one Shaman to finish off multiple, already Ratling-gunned units (hopefully!) with Fists of Gork / Mork (never can remember the right one). I just fear that this tactic could be hampered by terrain, since fortified and defensive positions will spoil ranged attacks or nullify impact attacks. Maybe I need some bait to lure the enemy out. As soon as I see which terain is available I could also go for being the second player to "steal" annoying pieces and put them in some place where they do not disturb my tactic.

Thanks for the insight, Johnny and Sniper Troll. That helped very much.

Edited by Katsuyori

Any Orc hero with Boar Boyz is good, just make sure to take Waaagh! to capitalize on it. Alternatively, since the Troll suggested a Chaos build, you could run double Bloodcrushers as a solid wall in front of your Skaven.

... "steal" annoying pieces and put them in some place where they do not disturb my tactic.

Always a good idea.