No Defensive Training in Soresu?

By Sporkley, in Game Mechanics

Please forgive if this has already been mentioned, sometimes it's difficult to follow all of the threads.

I find it very interesting / odd that Soresu doesn't have the "Defensive Training" talent. It looks like all of the other forms (excepting Ataru, which isn't defensive anything) have it somewhere in their tree. I know Soresu has the Defensive Stances and Defensive Circle, but it seems odd that Defensive Training is missing.

I'm not sure if it's a balance issue or it just had to be dropped from the tree due to room. The thing that distinguishes Defensive Training from the others in Soresu is the fact that it provides a passive benefit, whereas you have to activate with either an action (Circle) or move + strain (Stance) the talents in Soresu.

I do find that weird too. Since sores is basically the most combat defensive / enduring LS Form, it should have this talent.

Also, Def. training would make activating improved parry more likely.

Soresu Defender has two ranks of Defensive Stance, which by upgrading the difficulty actually makes it far more likely that Improved Parry will get triggered by uping the likelihood of rolling a Despair.

So in this case, Defensive Training is kinda redundant.

Soresu Defender has two ranks of Defensive Stance, which by upgrading the difficulty actually makes it far more likely that Improved Parry will get triggered by uping the likelihood of rolling a Despair.

I don't really agree that it's redundant, as there seems to be nothing to stop the two from working together. As stated above, the nice thing is that the Training talent doesn't require any strain expenditure to utilize, but if you are in the Stance you'd get the defense bonus and the upgrades.

My personal suggestion would be to replace the Row 2, Col 3 "Grit" with a Defensive Training if Soresu becomes Willpower rather than Intelligence based.

Of course while I said I don't think it's redundant, it could be unbalancing (overpowered) to swap it in.

Yes, upgrading is better than adding a setback die, but nevertheless it feels a little odd that the iconic defensive LS Form's spec doesn't have Defensive Training.

You know, he kind of has a point, but what would you give up from the tree for it? I think it's a trade-off of which would be more effective the rest of the tree, than the one thing that should be there, but there's other items that are more effective.

Yes, upgrading is better than adding a setback die, but nevertheless it feels a little odd that the iconic defensive LS Form's spec doesn't have Defensive Training.

It also doesn't have Improved Reflect,and we see Obi-Wan (the Soresu poster-child) doing his fair share of reflecting blaster fire into his opponents, and going by his background he's not so much as looked at Shien as a style, using Ataru and Shii-Cho to complement his Soresu.

I get the feeling that the design team very much did a "pick and choose" in terms of what talents got put where, and that the felt that having Defensive Stance twice as well as Discipline (used to recover Strain after a fight) plus a couple ranks of Grit and 4 ranks of Parry was enough of a nod to Soresu being the "iconic defensive LS Form."