Question about an Action

By vulcan7200, in Warhammer Invasion Rules Questions

I couldn't find an answer to this one in this forum, so I thought I would ask.

In the core box, which I just bought to try out with me and a friend, the Orcs have a catapult (Forget which one) that has the Action: Spend 2 resources and sacrifice a unit to deal two damage to the enemy capital. According to the rule book, after all damage is assigned but before it's applied, you can play actions. What ended up happening is, my friend would attack. I would defend, and assign damage, and he would assign his. If my assigned damage was enough to kill off a unit, he would then pay two, sacrifice him and do two damage to my capital. What this ended up doing was allowing him to attack, do his full damage to me, and if I killed anyone that unit would then just be sacrificed to get an extra two damage to my capital. Rules as written, it seems perfectly legit, but I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing something in the rules about it.

It is legit, and a common use of sacrifice effects. Please note, however, that this is only possible during combat, because all non-combat damage (e.g. indirect damage) is applied immediately when it is assigned.

Maik, assign-wise your "please note" is correct, but action-chain-wise I think it is not.

To deal non-combat damage you have to take an action.

With that action you started an action-chain.

In the action-chain I use the Catapults Action.

As it is last in, it comes first out, so I sacfifice the unit targeted by your non-combat damage dealing action and deal 2 dmgs to capital.

Then your action would come, but its target became illegal, so your action is just gone for good.

Sure, if I do not respond in the action-chain, then the Catapult cannot be used after assigning - before applying.

All in all, different mechanism with same result: sacrifice instead of destroying.

Anything mistaken?