NPCs and creatures tests and feedback

By Martiganthemad, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

Hello, though I'm a new member of the forum, I've been lurking for quite some time, but now got some free time I'll be spending GM a custom setting using anima system. So recently I've started working with the character creation part, and came up with some NPCs to test: I'd really like to have some opinions on them!

The first I came up with is some stats for a basic wolf:

Class: Shadow LvL 1

STR: 6 (+5), DEX: 6 (+5), AGI: 9 (+10), CON: 6 (+5), PER: 8 (+10), WP: 5 (+0), INT: 2 (-20), POW: 3 (-10)

Initiative is at +55 (+15 for DEX and AGI, +20 for a medium creature, + 10 for increased reaction and +10 for the class bonus)

LP:108 (85 base, + 5 for class and + 18 for 3 LP multiples)

DMG: 55 (natural weapons + 5 for STR and + 10 for increased damage)

AT: 2 (natural AT)

PdPr 35, Mr 10, Pr 30.

Skills:

Att 55, Dodge 65, Search 60, Track 75, Stealth 60, Notice 60

Got an extra attack per turn at -40 skill

Has advantage fatigue resistance and acute sense (bonus applied to skills)

Some of the powers I took, because they made sense (natural ad because of the fur, extra damage for the sharp claws and teeths, ecc).

The extra attack is to rappresent the fact that it can attack with both claws and maw.

Then it got more complicated when I tried to create a supernatural NPC:

Elven (psycho-mage?)

I used the stat lines for the sylvain as opposed to create new ones

Wizard Mentalist LvL 3

STR 3 (-10), DEX 5 (+0), AGI 8 (+10), CON 5 (+0), PER 5 (+0), INT 6 (+5), POW 8 (+10), WP 8 (+10).

INIT 30 (20 base + 10 from AGI), LP 105 (70 base, + 20 for 4 multiples, +15 for the class)

ZEON 410 (110 base and + 300 for class), MA: 30 (10 base + 20 for multiples)

P.P. 13 (3 free, 3 powers from 2 disciplines unlocked via advantages [or powers?], 3 invested to have + 20 potential, 4 invested for 2 innate slots)

Psychic Potential 60 (40 base + 20 from P.P.)

AT: can't remember what exactly, but a robe of some kind.

Pr 40, Dr 60, Vr 50, Mr 80, Psr 80

Skills

Magic Projection 35 (unbalanced for defense, so actually 50-20).

Psychic Projection 40

Withstand pain 45, Stealth 55, Hide 20, Magic Appraisal 75.

For psychic powers she can use mental restraint, create feelings and detect feelings (so telepathy and Sensing [can't remember the name right now])

For spells she can use Royal shield, stone barrier and heal (was working with first ed, so dunno about translation with the new core exxet system yet)

For generic advantages/skills she's got:

-Passive concentration (for psy powers)

-Amplify innate slot (+ 1 dif maintenable of the power)

-Psychic consumption (loses lp when fails to use power)

-Gestures (disadvantage for spells)

The fluff behind this one is that most "light elves" were either banished or enslaved after a cataclysm made the continent that they shared with humans was ravaged: after they escaped to another far to the east they elves were blamed for the event, causing their prosecution. Fast forward several centuries later, not many elves around, but for the slaves that were kept for their unique magical abilities, one of which are the Psychic powers (which here I make to be a kind of magic, though the rules are unchanged). The idea behind is that they have absolutely no clue about combat (hence no block/dodge/attack), and usually just use their magic to assist their master.

Edited by Martiganthemad

I like the wolf npc, although since wolves are usually in packs in real life, a pack of these would cause quite a bit of problem to unprepared players since these npcs have quite a bit of stealth. If the players don't have enough obs or vigilance, the sneak attack on a lightly armored PC would be devastating. If you were going for the "lone wolf" kind of npc or 3-4 of these, this could be a nice encounter with a bit of challenge, as long as you know that your palyers are able to handle it.

Furthermore, if you base yourself on actual wolves, their intelligence could be increased a bit, since wolves are highly capable and intelligent hunters. In my opinion, it could be raised to 4 for "Alpha" wolves and 3 for the rest of them.

As for the Mentalists, and I am by no mean an expert on this class, it seems good to me. Their power would fit with the fluff you imagined, although if they were truly that persecuted, I would probably increase their PER to 7, since traditionnaly Elves have good perceptions (but thats your world so do w/e you want with them) and plus the fact that they have been hounded and used as slaves would undoubtedly make anyone jumpy at any weird sound or movement.

In general it seems fairly balanced to me, you did a good job at putting points where it was logical to have them, I would only recommend doing a "test" combat with your players to buff out anything that would be illogical to have or just to rebalance anything that needs rebalancing. Its your call, of course, but it would help you to see if you missed anything or if there are some things that are good to know for further creations.

So yeah, good job :)

Yeah, been wanting to test with them for a while, but a lack of any other content (working on a setting, but due to me being kinda a perfectionist [the patologic kind, sadly] and being quite busy it proceeds slow as hell) would put them off quite easily.

On the wolf: I'm actually afraid of that, it seemed quite strong to me too, as I had visualized it to be in a pack, so will make a test with a level 0 one, to see if it would be better. For the Elf, actually didn't think of that, since I was concentrated on other things, but it makes sense to have their "normal" PER to be higher than humans, will need to rebalance that.

The other day I created a new kind of NPC, will post it maybe in the next couple of days, as I need to review it and check that everything is in order, but in short it's a race that resembles Draconics from D&D (I didn't know they were a thing, but then again, never been playing much D&D at all), only that they are between 10' and 12', have big, muscular torsos that house 4 big arms, but can't spit fire =)

Edited by Martiganthemad

Will this wolf's pack have the same statistics or will the pack have the stats on pg 281, being Freelancers instead of shadows?

Will this wolf's pack have the same statistics or will the pack have the stats on pg 281, being Freelancers instead of shadows?

Page 281 Core Book in case anyone is wondering.

Ok, funny thing is that I completely forgot about uploading that npc, was busy. Oh well, here it is:

Crayor Warrior

lvl 4 warlock

Str 13 (+25), Dex 8 (+10), Agi 6 (+5), Con 11 (+20), Pow 7 (+5)

Int 7 (+5), Wp 9 (+10), Per 8 (+10), LP 234, Zeon 280, Size 21

AT: partial plate + 2 to all (4 base AT)

Resistances: PDP 85, MR 70, PSR 75

Attack 90, Block 75, Wear Armor 50, Init 10 halberd, 20 scimitar

MA 5, Magic projection 35

Ki accumulation 12 (using the unified system), Ki points 82

Damage: Halberd 85, Metal wings 65 (they have the same profile of a short sword), Scimitar 75

Abilities

Feats of strenght 30, Withstand pain 50, Notice 40, Jump 40, Track 40

He got an extra attack per turn at -30 for having extra arms

He got extra weapon modules

He can use Flight, and 2 random spells from: Raise Wind, Air Blow, Air Screen or Aircut.

He has use of ki, ki control and first 2 techniques from "The Dragon", page 107.

Sadly this time I dont have all the notes to explain where I spent DPs, so can't even double check for them to add up.

Little fluff about "him" (generic him"). His race is called "Crayor", which are as I said, essentially breathless dragon-men, very big, tall (around 9 feet) and heavy, with 2 sets of arms. They are trained since childhood into fighting, with various kinds of weapons, to harsh training and repulsion for weakness and cowardness, but at the same time, for lack of "honor" (which is basically fighting dirty is bad for them, and even if one should most likely die, they should fight face to face for a glorious death). They are naturally able to use magic, and traditionally are trained to make most use of "Air magic", which they use, through metal wings made from "arcanium" (placeholder name), to basically fly. These wings are worn on one set of arms and can be used to attack as they have very sharp sides, but they rarely risk to damage them.

Well, that's basically what I'm sure of for now, anything else I'm still working on. They usually fight using halberd and wings if in range, or with 4 scimitars. When I was designing him I thought of going full ki and use their kind of flight, but didn't like how that sounded after looking into it, so in the end I decided to go with them using some basic magic and ki skills, and being mostly martially adept.

On the wolf, I dunno actually, didn't even look at that profile when I made that wolf (was testing to make sure I understood the system), and still haven't made another weaker profile, so will look into it in the future :)