The Hollows.

By Var Zhul, in Black Crusade Game Masters

Hey guys, my group is thinking of going to the hollows at some point, I'm a bit stumped about how to run it all. They've picked up a representative of Forge Castur, which is pulling them along, but still.

How would you run a compact in the Hollows? What kinds of things would you do? What would you investigate etc?

Cheers.

Well,

What do they hope to accomplish there?

Having a representative of Castur, they'll probably use him as an 'in' to get around, but no real intentions yet. Not any that've been given to me anyways.

OK,

My group went to The Hollows to obtain information on an entity, which had once been an ally to Hellwhisper (now The Hollows).

They were caught up in the struggle between the two major Forges and ended up brokering peace between the Exospectre and Onuris - through the threat of mutual destruction. (installing a stoneburner in Hellwhisper's core, giving each side a detonator).

I checked and here's a few random events, notes and scribbles that I kept from that session, maybe you can use some of it.

Adventure notes

Locations:

Forge Castir - Exospectre.ToF, p85

Surrounded by acres of ruined scrap metal and wrecked debris of countless machines, Forge Castir rises like a rust-red mountain many miles above the ground. The Forge belches forth a volcanic plume of toxic gases from the many smelters and manufactorums within. Outside, long, twisting arteries of mag-rails convey raw materials into the forge and sophisticated technology out to far-flung outposts and sub-forges.

A spiderwebbed maze-like system of corridors—lined with pipes, sparking wires, valves and turning cogs—connects the various areas of Forge Castir. Each level is divided into a series of chambers containing individual works in progress.

- The Scraplands . ToF, p88

Surrounding the outskirts of Forge Castir are the Scraplands—a continent-sized collection of wrecked and abandoned vehicles, rusted weaponry, malfunctioning servitors and crazed machinespirits. Amongst the vast swathes of debris can be found nearly anything—from a fragment of a machine altar to a ship’s cogitator to a flickering hololith mapping out most of the lower Vortex—although the effort required to locate a particular item can vary from a glance to centuries of careful sifting through the heaped mountains of junk and wreckage.

Some areas of the Scraplands are organised into neat rows, whilst others are simply haphazard piles and ridges of torn, twisted debris. Small, scattered groups of humans eke out a base subsistence, feeding upon dark red fungus growing in between towering piles of junk and drinking fouled water flowing in sludgy creeks along fissures caked with broken technology.

--- The Shimmering Waste . ToF, p89

Beyond the farthest runnel of the Forgeflow lies the Shimmering Waste: a glass-encrusted, irradiated desert region that encompasses a large percentage of the Hollows’ remaining surface area.

---- Shalerazor Cliffs . ToF, p91

-- Mechmoo r - Warzone. ToF, p88

Kilometre after kilometre of befouled, toxic swamps make up the region known as the Mechmoor. Poisonous fumes and mists from the Forgeflow gather here, permeating the land and air with venomous smoke. Thick patches of mist float in curious currents, questing tendrils of fog seeming to seek out any motion or sign of life. Mammoth ruins jut upwards from the swamp in various places, seeming to defy the ground’s efforts to engulf them. Corpse-bogs and Wreckage-pits abound.

- Forgeflow. ToF, p87

Like a suppurating wound, the Forgeflow is a massive magma tap that once led to the planet’s molten core. Since the Hollows’ diminution, the flow has slowed to a trickle, yet it still provides unfathomable amounts of raw materials directly to Forge Polix.

The never-ending hunger of Forge Polix’s industry has whipped the labour force in this region into a frenzy. Ramshackle shuttles transfer out to the corona of asteroids in orbit, breaking

them down chunk by chunk to transfer down into the Forgeflow’s starving maw.

Toxic gases churn in the many canyons and wandering, lava-choked ravines that extend around the Forgeflow’s source. Raging daemons bound in chains of iron and runecarved ceramite turn the massive cogwheels that control the magma’s flow from lock to lock, channelled off towards

various reclaimatium facilities and conduits into the heart of Forge Polix. Vast nutrient vats containing slumbering Death-Masques line the upper reaches, a guard force to mercilessly

crush resistance.

Forge Pollix - Magos Onuris. ToF, p86

At the heart of an enormous fissure in the surface of the Hollows lies Forge Polix. Formed into a cube of brass and steel many kilometres tall, crackling warp energy coruscates along circuitlike

designs inlaid upon its surface in minute detail. Near the guttering spring of the Forgeflow, Forge Polix is hellishly lit by the subterranean dark crimson glow of magma. Nearly every portion of Forge Polix is given over to mass production; huge assembly lines churn out arms, armour, and

other devices as automated stamping presses and die-castings create blades, bionics, and vehicle hulls. Much of the raw labour force of Forge Polix comes from the ranks of twisted mutants, with overseers cracking whips and guiding the efforts of shambling Chaos Spawn chained to gargantuan cogwheel assemblies.

The Stem - War Zone - Low Gravity. ToF, p89

Blood Well

N/A

Events:

The Lone Walker - Location: The Scraplands, or Mechmoor

Awareness test (hearing) to detect howling machine voice (range 250m)

Failure : come upon the Walker at range 100m, Walker then takes challenging awareness test to detect PCs (opposed vs. stealth if they have been using it).

Shardstorm - Location: The Shimmering Waste, Scraplands outskirts, or the Mechmoor outskirts

Survival check to detect incoming storm. Failure = 1d10 rounds of exposure to the storm for affected PCs

1 DoS: warn the group

2 DoS: agility test for each PC to get into cover in time, failure = 1d3 rounds of exposure to the

storm for affected PC

3+ DoS: move into cover in time

Exposure:

2d10 impact damage every round to random hit location, 3d10 damage (pick the 2 highest) if the hit location is unarmored.

The Magos and the Workshop - Location: Scraplands

Las traps - Location: Mechmoor, Forge Castir, Forge Pollix

Stalker mines - Location: Mechmoor, Forge Castir, Forge Pollix

Check for surprise. Dodge test to avoid.

Pitfalls - Location: Forge Castir, Forge Pollix

Survival/Awareness -20 test to spot. If fail, then take Agi test to avoid.

Living Razor Vine (nano-tech) - Location: Mechmoor

Anyone within 1 meter will be attacked in melee, WS 45, 1d10+5 dmg, razor sharp, Felling I.

Cannibal Horde - Location: The Scraplands, The Shimmering Waste

Renegade Marine Lair - Location: Forgeflow

Recently, a Chaos Space Marine-led warband of Heretics invaded a small portion of the Forgeflow above the tertiary magma-fall. There, they have begun extorting tolls for its

use, causing Magos Onuris to offer a lavish reward for the intruders’ permanent removal.

The Abandoned Bunker - Location: Mechmoor

Deep down in the bowels of the abandoned bunker is a vault, protected by layers of Mechanicus security.

Within the vault is a 100kg Stoneburner (aka Nuclear Bomb).

Enemies and NPCs:

Aposticator Tech-Assassin - Elite - (Exospectre) - The Scraplands, The Stem, Forge Castir. ToF, p92

Tech-Assassin - Elite - (Exospectre) - All, BC Core, p362

Velocireaper (Exospectre) - BC Core, p363

Prophitect -

Excrucimancer (Exospectre) - Forge Castir.

Chaos Spawn (Magos Onuris) - Forge Pollix

Twist Hulk (Magos Onuris) - Forge Pollix, Shalerazor Cliffs

Idolitrex Magos - NPC - (Magos Onuris) - Forge Pollix. ToF, p37

Mutant Slave (Magos Onuris)

Death Masque - Elite - (Magos Onuris) - Forge Pollix, Forgeflow. ToF, p90

Harrowhound - Elite - (Magos Onuris) - All. ToF, p91

Fell Skitarii ( Both) - All

Shock Slaves -Troop (Both) - All. Core, p360. (Mutant Devotee) add shocking trait to melee and Machine (2)

Secutor Tech-Priest - Elite (Both) - All

Hollowkynd - Elite - (None) - Mechmoor, The Scraplands, The Shimmering Waste. ToF, p91

Mutant Cannibal - Feral (None) - Mechmoor. Core, p360. (Mutant Devotee)

Scavenger Mutant - (None) - All. Core, p360. (Mutant Devotee) add Agi +10

Patchwork Chaos Dreadnought - The Scraplands. ToE, p108. Armour value 10

Magos Onuris

Magos Onuris possesses few mechadendrites for his hulking form, preferring bionic limbs and tracked lower body locomotive function. Onuris has an odd fixation with masks and has hand-crafted more than a dozen for his own countenance.

The Exospectre

In appearance, he is a towering figure over two metres in height, his bulky form concealed by layers of mouldering, ragged robes that swathe him from head to toe. A host of slithering

mechadendrites are all the limbs he requires, and the susurrus of oiled metallic scales accompanies his every move.

Eccentric even by the standards of Hereteks, the Exospectre does not normally speak, preferring instead to plug one of his mechadendrites into a number of special servitors specially-modified to issue his commands.

Edited by Keffisch

My group had gone to the Hollows for several reasons; ToF had just come out and I was converting my Heretek to an Idoltrix, so that seemed like an appropriate place to do this. Also, my GM wanted to do more ship stuff, but given my back-log of tech-related maintenance, creation, and repairs, it was decided that we would need additional help in fixing our ship, along with another ship we had obtained.

So we went to the Hollows. There we were pressed into the war between Castir and Polix. We did some work for them, and I was formally interred into their ranks, given my otherwise impressive tech-use and our trade items we presented them. This side-adventure was just a taste of the planet, and we knew it, but there is a lot going on there.