Chaos Undivided Daemon Princes

By Quietus1, in Black Crusade House Rules

I just got the Tome of Decay and read through the section on daemonic ascension. My one big problem with it is that it completely rules out Undivided Daemon princes. Which, in the lore, certainly exist.

My question is has anyone come up with any homebrew Unaligned daemon prince traits/advances?

gain the mark of chaos undivided giving tgem all the mark bonuses +5 to the weakest stat and +10 when dealing with undivided characters. do not gain all the traits from being a deamon prince instead all gifts count as being aligned to all the gods (all the bonus stuff). you still gain favor but you can only spend it on undivided benefits.

Personally when I houseruled this, I let the Daemon Prince pick one of the Unaligned stats to gain a +10 in, with the exception of Infamy. I forget what other bonuses I gave him.

I'd houserule it, as to me it seems mostly like a FF mistake. Even if GW is actually trying to change their fluff, it is still contradictive of past work in a way that can't be reconciled easily (Perturabo and Lorgar anyone?)

I'd just apply the default abilities to an Undivided Daemon Prince, and leave out any God-specific abilities or Gifts, keeping only generic powers and unaligned gifts. Undivided Daemon Princes aren't supposed to be the equals of aligned ones in my eyes. The greatest rewards typically go to those who chose a patron and stick to them. Though an Undivided Daemon Prince would be slightly weaker than an aligned one in raw power, they are still a mutha-@#$%&*+ Daemon Prince, eater of moral souls and annihilator of Imperial scum!

On the plus side, this weakness could be balanced by the idea that an Undivided Daemon Prince could follow a more varied agenda than an aligned one, and not be bound to a single philosophy, making it somewhat easier to earn favour with the gods, and harder to lose it, as they wouldn't be beholden to just one god. What disappoints one may please another, and this can balance out to a degree.

I would rule with my GM hat that a player would have to be in the good graces of AT LEAST two gods who aren't diametrically opposed to each other, still along the unaligned progression path, and have shown strong veneration towards Chaos Undivided during RP. At least one of those gods has to power the ascension, so downright god-haters like the Night Lords would not be eligible unless they had a change of heart.

My take on the problem at least

Edit: for unaligned powers with specific aligned effects, I'd leave it up to the player to chose the power, but the GM to chose the effect, based on the gods the Daemon Prince player has earned a good repore with.

Edited by Crow Eye

From my POV, keeping in mind the disadvantages of staying unaligned on the heretic's path to daemonhood (essentialy meaning he has transcended by his own means, not his patron's), an Unaligned Daemon Prince should probably get a +10 to all characteristics, all aligned special abilities, and access to all advancements, but gaining 4 times less and losing 4 times more Favor for glorious (embarassing) deeds, as well as being forced to balance out alignment of daemonic gifts.

From my POV, keeping in mind the disadvantages of staying unaligned on the heretic's path to daemonhood (essentialy meaning he has transcended by his own means, not his patron's), an Unaligned Daemon Prince should probably get a +10 to all characteristics, all aligned special abilities, and access to all advancements, but gaining 4 times less and losing 4 times more Favor for glorious (embarassing) deeds, as well as being forced to balance out alignment of daemonic gifts.

That's another way of doing it. By your way the Champion became a Daemon Prince by being an even bigger badass than those Champions that typically become Daemon Princes. My way is a Champion who was badass enough to become a Daemon Prince, but was wishy-washy in their devotion to a single god. Both ways could work, and be compatible with each other. Greater reward for greater risk.

Certain actions I could see both the penalties and benefits being multiplied by four, though I see a lot of actions that can earn or lose favour being completely mitigated by being Undivided. Of these things, I see more loss in the unfavourable actions than in the favourable ones. Overall, I'd figure that an Unaligned Daemon Prince would earn less favour than an aligned one, but lose even less than that, unless they are engaged in tasks and actions that involve all the gods Undivided, such as launching an invasion in the name of Chaos Undivided, or convert a world to Chaos Undivided, etc, at which point they enter a completely different ballgame, with greater risk and greater reward.

Edited by Crow Eye

Thanks for the replies.

I tend towards Chaplin's view, as in the lore the biggest badasses tend to be the ones who made it to the top as undivided, even gaining the mark of all 4 gods in the process. (Archeron the Everchosen, Abbadon, Horus, Belakor the Dark Master, etc). This is reinforced by the list of psychic powers one can only gain access to as Undivided in the core rules.