Depicting the imperium correctly

By The Metal Inquisitor, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I'm GM for a dark heresy group playing my own campaign with six players where only one of them is an experienced dark heresy player. Despite my efforts at describing the dark and grim imperium as the setting of the game, most of my players haven't really gotten the same image of the life in the imperium. Not that it's a big problem ingame where I can give the PCs more information as the session progresses, but I would like to convey the mood and setting better to the players inexperienced with warhammer 40k, so that they don't have to be taken out of the game whenever I have to explain common beliefs and notions to them.

Such as how psykers are viewed as citizens of the imperium, and the meaning of being affiliated with a death cult in the assassins case.

If other GM's could give me their input of depicting the world of warhammer 40k to inexperienced players, or just participate in a discussion about the subject then it would just be great :)

Honestly if it's lore they aren't getting then the players need to expose themselves to it. I've heard that the Vaults of Terra series on Youtube is good for lore.

Conveying Grimdark is difficult. Don't try and force it if the players don't really care.

Hi there,

since there is a VAST field of Information the players do not have, it might be best to tailor the Input to what will be brought up from game to game. So, what are the six characters (and which is the one with some Background info?) Were are you currently playing (which kind of world, which kind of environment).

Personally, I tried to interlace my scene narations with the Kind of info a "voice-over in a movie" would provide. In addition, I liked to start such a naration if the characters are transfered to a new world or a new hive. A GM is well advised to actually put down a small text like that or (if he is good at speeches) to just put down some notes and use those. These notes should involve some adjectives! ;)

In addition, it is never wrong to lace your description with a sentence or two about the Background of what the characters are seeing. It will help the Immersion.

Hi there,

since there is a VAST field of Information the players do not have, it might be best to tailor the Input to what will be brought up from game to game. So, what are the six characters (and which is the one with some Background info?) Were are you currently playing (which kind of world, which kind of environment).

Personally, I tried to interlace my scene narations with the Kind of info a "voice-over in a movie" would provide. In addition, I liked to start such a naration if the characters are transfered to a new world or a new hive. A GM is well advised to actually put down a small text like that or (if he is good at speeches) to just put down some notes and use those. These notes should involve some adjectives! ;)

In addition, it is never wrong to lace your description with a sentence or two about the Background of what the characters are seeing. It will help the Immersion.

I do the same where I narrate their environment to immerse both the players and myself in the world, but sometimes I had to interfere with some of the players actions and reactions that didn't suited the setting at all. Like the psyker telling a citizen about what it's like being a psyker xD

Not that it's a big issue anymore since we have played dark heresy together for months now. I mostly just want to discus what other GMs have been doing to depict the imperium of man as the setting, and just how grim and dark everything are nowadays :lol: