Mechanicus Implants

By AlphariusOmegon7, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Figure that I'll be shot down for this, but wondering if any of you hereteks out there think it'd be reasonable to (as a non heretek type, but someone very interested in sorcerous technology) to get myself implanted, and what that would require (Infamy Tests, a Compact, some kind of surgical procedure, etc.)?

I mostly ask because I want to go the 'techno-sorcery' route coming from the sorcery rather than the techno end, but I do want the techy stuff. Most of it, however, is locked behind 'Mechanicus Implant owners only' so I was wondering if there'd be a way to get cheap knock off ones so I can get the better stuff.

I don't see an issue with that, humans have been augmented with mechanical components for a good while; replacement limbs, new eyes, organs etc so considering you can chop and change parts (pun intended), I'm sure there would be ways of getting this set up.

You'd need to likely befriend someone with some decent medical and/or cybernetics for a start. Then you would also need to either source legit implants or get someone to source some alternative (with the appropriate modifiers depending how it was sourced).

After that, a procedure. By the sounds of it, might be quite invasive so unless you're getting the Dark Mechanicus to do it, would need a decent surgeon to pass a number of medical checks to not leave you paralysed or as a vegetable plus some tech use to make sure its wired in correctly otherwise you're stuck with lumps of metal in you which do nothing at all. A few days/weeks (minus toughness bonus) to recover and boom, you have your implants!

Peer (Dark Mechanicus) and Forbidden Lore (Dark Mechanicus) can be a good start, but generally getting access to mechanicus implants is better put as a Compact in itself.

If you want sorcery and mechanicus, take the archtype from Tome of Fate. What you're trying to do it take another class's schtick if you try to get it by infamy rolls only.

Peer, the contacts necessary and a small boatload of esoteric knowledge, to be sure (Forbidden Lore (Archeotech), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus/Dark Mechanicum), etc). Other than that, I'd also require Mechanicus Assimilation.

While I like the idea of making it a Compact, Compacts tend to be group efforts. If you feel like going about it that way, I'd create a form of "side-compact", like a list of Tertiary Objectives that at the whole makes up a personal compact.

If you want sorcery and mechanicus, take the archtype from Tome of Fate. What you're trying to do it take another class's schtick if you try to get it by infamy rolls only.

The nature of Advanced Archetypes necessitates everyone accepting that he plays something completely broken compared to them, or skews the entire scale upwards without cause, and additionally locks you into a very narrow concept tied to the setting.

Thanks for the suggestions - once we've finished taking over the hive we're currently stuck under, I'll propose some to the group.

The issue with this is I already HAVE a character who wants to mix sorcery and mechanicus and is at the former end. Moreover, the Magos Idolitrix DOES NOT approach the matter from the sorcery end, but rather (as the name suggests) from the Mechanicus end. I am not trying to take anyone's shtick - my group only has two other players, one of whom does combat, the other does social. I do not want to get it by infamy rolls only - I'm fine with it taking several years of deals with the Dark Mechanicus. I just wanted to know if anyone had any good suggestions for getting hold of it.

Grater Minion of Chaos - Dark Mechanicus Heretek. He could accompany your character help with rituals and tutoring your character

For a comparison of what you're asking for OP, you're asking if you can be turned into a space marine. I mean, not quite that complicated, but still complicated and along the same lines.

You could always just try joining the Cult, but the end result is thus; you want to approach this from a sorcery perspective, but the various factions of the Cult, like Forge Polix or Castir are looking for people who are first and foremost good at crafting and tech-use.

Think of it as an elite university; they have an excellent art program, but because they're a technical school, you need to show you belong there before you can get into that program.

For a comparison of what you're asking for OP, you're asking if you can be turned into a space marine. I mean, not quite that complicated, but still complicated and along the same lines.

You could always just try joining the Cult, but the end result is thus; you want to approach this from a sorcery perspective, but the various factions of the Cult, like Forge Polix or Castir are looking for people who are first and foremost good at crafting and tech-use.

Think of it as an elite university; they have an excellent art program, but because they're a technical school, you need to show you belong there before you can get into that program.

As I said - I'm fine with it taking a while and a lot of Tech-Use advances.

In the game Rogue Trader, a non-mechanicus character can become an Arch-Heretic by upgrading themselves, or having themselves illegally upgraded. Once they do, and get enough of the proper type of implants (it doesn't specify which, stating that the player need not have the same ones as Tech-Priests, but common sense should be applied), they can take the rank, and gain the Apostate Mechanic Talent , which allows them to meet the prerequisites for any Talent that requires Mechanicus Implants.

Though this is a different game, the same logic still applies. If your character gets enough implants, of the proper kinds, they can then meet the prerequisites for anything that is Mechanicus-Only. The actual way your character goes about doing so is completely up to you. You don't NEED to make friends with the Dark Mechanicus (though it would be helpful from a RP perspective), you don't NEED to make a pact with anyone. If you really want, you just need the Tech-Use Skill, some technology, and some idle time to tinker. Killing and stripping some Tech-Priests of their machinery couldn't hurt either.

The choice is yours really, but given that it is allowed in another game of the same general setting (and doing so puts those characters in the same general camp as Black Crusade players as far as the Imperium is concerned), it seems sensible that same logic would apply here as well. Strap on some implants somehow, and with your GM's permission, you meet the pre-reqs. You're a heretic after all, what do you care of "rules" and "requirements" anyhow?? :)

Edited by Crow Eye