Line of Sight Required to Charge

By Frobozz, in Warhammer: Diskwars

As the title of this thread indicates, I am interested if anyone has tried playing Disk Wars where you cannot charge an enemy disk (i.e. flip onto an enemy disk) unless you have line of sight to that disk. I don't believe the rules are written requiring this, but it would make sense and I wonder how much additional strategy it would add to the game.

I have found that the game feels too wide open and that it's hard to protect certain disks from other disks no matter where you position them. Maybe I need to use more terrain but I'm playing with the amount of terrain required by the rules.

How is it possible to flip onto an enemy disk unless you can already see it?

What I meant is that an ally disk is not allowed to pin an enemy disk on a turn where the ally disk you are going to move didn't have line of sight to the enemy disk before it started its move.

Edited by Frobozz

It seems like an unnecessary complication?

I agree with TezzasGames, it seems an unnecessary complication to me. The game works fine as it is for me. I agree that it's hard to protect valuable disks, but it can be done by placing units near rough terrain so that the enemy has to take a longer route to get to you (as I showed here ), or by keeping some of your disks out of reach of the enemy, in a position where they can threaten to pin any attacker that comes to charge your own disks.

Also by negating the possibility to charge without line of sight you'll be weakening fast cavalry units and disks with the flying and strider keyword, which greatly benefit from the ability to stay hidden behind terrain.

As always, it is your game. You should try it, if it interests you. I'd love to hear how it affects the game.

That said, imo, I like the game as is. Protecting important units is a skill that has to be developed. But at any rate, the game is built to be fast and brutal. Numerous times, I've lost a disk that I was relying on in my strategy due to some unforeseen move that my opponent made. And, personally, I love it. It reminds me that I need to look at the whole board, not just what I want to do. Even better, sometimes when I loose that all important disk, I still come back to win. And that, is awesome! I worry that applying a line of sight rule, you would slow the game significantly.

That said, a slower more strategic game may be what you are looking for. In that case, you should modify the game in whatever way allows you to enjoy it more.

Thanks for the replies and especially the suggestions on strategic placement of troops. It seems like once one side decides to start engaging the opponent's forces the game ends rather quickly with a sort of domino effect with charges and countercharges resulting in most of our games ending by turn three. I don't think we've made it past turn four yet.

Edited by Frobozz

That is the way the game is supposed to be. Diskwars only lasts 5 turns at the extreme. More often than not you will see a definite winner by turn 3 or 4 depending on strategies. Generally speaking, turn 3 is the climax, and turns 4 and 5 are mopping up if necessary.